Selling a motorcycle options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to sell my first bike as having two simply isn't working out since I dont have the time to enjoy both.

I had one friend interested in buying the bike but you know how it goes when people say one thing but mean another.

The bike is in great condition and has some tasteful mods to make it have a better suspension and more reliable throttle response. The tires are 80% and less than a year old. Basically it has the BITOG level maintenance history.

I want to sell the bike but I would hate for it to end up in the hands of some yolo swag monster energy drink kid who's going to turn it into a naked bike with a terrible plastidip paint job.

I've posted the ad to the board of the bike model since I know the community there, but yeah most of them already have that same bike so making a sale there will be tough.

I put a text only ad on Craigslist tonight so we'll see what kind of junk low ball responses that generates, but what other options are there that won't take a 10% cut like eBay?

This isn't a supersport and it would be a great bike for a lady rider or a guy who needs a reliable commuter. How can I attract the mature crowd?

I'm not really sure why you care who the buyer is. All cash is green. It doesn't really matter what someone does to it once it's no longer your bike. If you're afraid of low ballers, it's probably because you've priced it too high. Remember you can sell anything for $1.

First things first, remove the emotion and either sell it or keep it. I wouldn't worry about it if they pay.

I would prefer to wait it out on craiglist or a local website if you have any, might be worth a search.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
First things first, remove the emotion and either sell it or keep it. I wouldn't worry about it if they pay.

This.

If selling it to someone that isn't your 'Ideal' buyer, causes this much angst, then you aren't ready to sell.

One piece of advice I would give you is no test rides, until the money has changed hands. I'd stipulate that the deal will be handled at your or their Bank, cash (which is verified to be good by the Bank) or Bank check only. Then sign over the Title. There will be a ten minute grace period where if they don't like it, and it comes back in exactly the same shape as you sold it to them, you'll give them their money back. Longer than ten minutes or they crash it, it's theirs.

I keep hearing horror stories in the news and online of people selling a bike, the person shows up and wants to take the bike for a test ride, and leaves "their car" as collateral. The only problem is the car is stolen, and you never see them or the bike again.

Good luck with the sale, and protect yourself from scammers.

This is not advice to you, it's just how I sell bikes.

I post ads in Craigslist, Ebay and Cycle Trader. I clearly pick a price that is quite reasonable, generally lower than others "asking price". And certainly a price that one would expect to pay for what I am selling, possibly a touch lower.

And, I make it clear the price is FIRM, no negotiation. If someone "lowballs" me, I gently end the conversation, or simply don't answer the email.

Again, I never ask too much, generally it's on the low side. I even sold my Jetta TDI this way. NADA was 14K retail, 12K trade in. I advertised it for 12K firm, and got it. (by the way, the dealerships would not give me NADA trade in value, they never came close to 12K)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
This is not advice to you, it's just how I sell bikes.

I post ads in Craigslist, Ebay and Cycle Trader. I clearly pick a price that is quite reasonable, generally lower than others "asking price". And certainly a price that one would expect to pay for what I am selling, possibly a touch lower.

And, I make it clear the price is FIRM, no negotiation. If someone "lowballs" me, I gently end the conversation, or simply don't answer the email.

Again, I never ask too much, generally it's on the low side. I even sold my Jetta TDI this way. NADA was 14K retail, 12K trade in. I advertised it for 12K firm, and got it. (by the way, the dealerships would not give me NADA trade in value, they never came close to 12K)

I'm with you on this kind of pricing. I don't like to play the negotiating game. I just ask a firm price and that's it.

Sounds like your on the fence about selling it. Decide if you really want it to go then decide on a price. Free listings like CL have worked good for me over the years. In your as post list all the particulars.Year, make , model, mileage. Let the clear pictures taken outside your garage in the daytime, tell the story of condition. As far as pricing goes, I look at what comp bikes are listed for on NADA, KBB and what the completed sales on Ebay bikes have sold for.I try to list bikes for a bit less then what others are listed at, to move it along.The main problem now is it's getting to the end of the riding season for most riders, depending on where you live. And the 2015's are coming out so lots of people are looking to dump their old bikes to buy that new one. Lots of deals and choices to run interference with your sale.,,

i didn't see what bike this is nor your location.

This plays key rolls. Right now in my area, there is 1-2 more months of riding. Most the supersport guys are working on planning their last ride for the season. My on my SV650N, i can take it for 1-2 months. Touring/ HD guys will try to go until snow. But once you get out of the midwest or up north, i think you can ride all year around in say FL/CA/TX/OK

you mentioned a lady rider and first bike. So i assume 250-500cc of something. Sell the bike to whoever has the cash like everyone said. I sold my first bike, GS500F to a kid who literally just got his permit. I rode it home for him to make sure he didn't kill himself. But after that its out of my hands. I made the sale and got what i wanted. He was happy he got a bike for a decent price. WIN-WIN. If he does make it a naked, i dont care because its not mines.

All i posted on was craigslist, my local sportbike forum and the bike-specfic national forum. CL was the biggest response, you will get a lot of bike flippers trying to make a quick buck. They dont even read the posting. Because i called most back and they needed me to refresh their memory on the ad.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I want to sell the bike but I would hate for it to end up in the hands of some yolo swag monster energy drink kid who's going to turn it into a naked bike with a terrible plastidip paint job.

I would also hate if Mr.RC45 ended up in the wrong hands thats why I'm compiling a list of
interested female racers as prospective buyers for when I'm gone... this is Joy who I met at Laguna Seca MotoGp...

MrRC45MissJoy5_zpsa8023b63.jpg

I once had a man refuse to sell me a Model A Ford because I was going to put a modern brakes and a modern engine and transmission in it so I could actually drive it safely on modern roads. He would only sell it to someone who restored it to factory original condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back