secure websites

want to order from the UK but the site dealertool.co.uk shows not secure, is there a way to order safely with my visa card

I wouldn't do it. It's easy to secure a website with an SSL certificate, so I wonder why they don't do it.

If you buy without an encrypted connection...anything you transmit (including your credit card info) is sent as clear text.

Don't do it.

Ed

want to order from the UK but the site dealertool.co.uk shows not secure, is there a way to order safely with my visa card
1) I suppose that if they offer payment processing through a separate, third party (ie. PayPal) then I *might* (**might**) consider undertaking a transaction through their site; knowing full well that the actual passing of my credit card information is actually taking place securely through, for example, PayPal. If not, NO WAY.

2) There is zero reason any competent and reasonable web site should not support encryption. And it is, in my opinion at least, fraudulent for a commercial site to skip it.

You're not liable for unauthorized charges on your credit card so it's not something that would concern me personally. With that said, it looks like a site from somebody making or selling something from their home, not a real company.

quote "To keep payment details secure and allow you to buy with confidence Payment is processed by Paypal only and goods will usually be dispatched on the next working day."

If you click the international buy button on their site it takes you directly to paypal over a secure https connection.

If it doesn't have an s in the https:// then it's not secure, also be carful if you see a yellow triangle with an exclamation point, this means there are parts of the site that are not secure, usually this is just images but still.

Here are my 2 cents
1. This website has enough references on the web going back a couple of years. People order from them and get what they paid for, just google
2. The "secure thing" (https) is not implemented since they dont care IMO. They've been selling this tool for years and dont want to invest any money, if it works - dont touch it kind of approach. They haven't changed their design for ages too
3. If you're scared that your personal data will be leaked - it's too late, your data is everywhere. Yellow pages, local county website, etc. I get mail from all kinds of businesses/churches/whatever and they all can see my info freely on the web.
4. Go ahead and order. You can be smart about it - use a credit card, preferably the one that allows you to create a virtual cc number or has the ability to lock it. Worst case scenario - dispute the transaction. Done it thousand times, there's literally no problem to dispute it if you dont get what you paid for OR if they use it for fraud. Most banks have the dispute option online, others are 1 phone call away.

Lemme know if you need any tech help

ordered with paypal for peace of mind. others on triumphrat forum have done the same

SSL (actually now TLS 1.2) is the tip of the iceberg in what it takes to secure a website. Handling credit card data (PCI data) is a real nightmare with respect to all the things you need to do. Even personal data (PII) requires a lot of work.

Back