Second thoughts about K&N

I have a 2019 Crosstrek with about 25k miles. I put in a K&N air filter when it was new and basically never looked at it again until yesterday. The car gets ordinary street and highway driving, no excessively dusty or dirty areas, and the filter didn't look super dirty when I checked it yesterday. According to K&N the cleaning interval is 50K miles, but I decided to take it out and clean it anyway. Since you have to let it dry after washing it, I put in a regular filter (Champ AF5293) for the meantime.

But.

First: the intake duct was noticeably oily. Not super-caked with oil, or anything like that, but not dry either. K&N claims these filters do not shed oil, and do not foul sensors. But it's clear to me now that they do shed oil, and although I have not had any sensor problems I can now see how that could happen.

Second: the car performs better with the paper filter. I wasn't expecting that; it surprised me. I know a new, clean K&N will have better flow-through than a stock filter, so I can only guess the 50k cleaning interval is wishful thinking and I should have cleaned it 5-10k ago.

So I'm now thinking K&N's marketing claims are not entirely credible, and I'm considering just switching back to paper filters from here on.

I have a 2019 Crosstrek with about 25k miles. I put in a K&N air filter when it was new and basically never looked at it again until yesterday. The car gets ordinary street and highway driving, no excessively dusty or dirty areas, and the filter didn't look super dirty when I checked it yesterday. According to K&N the cleaning interval is 50K miles, but I decided to take it out and clean it anyway. Since you have to let it dry after washing it, I put in a regular filter (Champ AF5293) for the meantime.

But.

First: the intake duct was noticeably oily. Not super-caked with oil, or anything like that, but not dry either. K&N claims these filters do not shed oil, and do not foul sensors. But it's clear to me now that they do shed oil, and although I have not had any sensor problems I can now see how that could happen.

Second: the car performs better with the paper filter. I wasn't expecting that; it surprised me. I know a new, clean K&N will have better flow-through than a stock filter, so I can only guess the 50k cleaning interval is wishful thinking and I should have cleaned it 5-10k ago.

So I'm now thinking K&N's marketing claims are not entirely credible, and I'm considering just switching back to paper filters from here on.
Stick that kn on let go.. stay with the oe style paper. Kn is a waste when it comes to air filters, their oil filters are ok to use.

Lots of confirmation bias but precious few facts. Have used K&N filters on several vehicles w/o any untoward effects.

Hitchins.jpg

I used them for years. I didn't notice any benefits overall. And you do have to show great care in oiling. Easy to overoil. Causing issues.

I've really had good results with the Fram Ultra Walmart exclusive long life filters in f150 and Outback. I'll stick w them.

Lots of confirmation bias but precious few facts. Have used K&N filters on several vehicles w/o any untoward effects.

View attachment 101007

I did not have any particular expectation to confirm. In fact, if you were to expect me to have confirmation bias, you'd logically expect it to be in favor of the K&N, not against it, since I already have the money into it.

The car feeling peppier with the clean paper filter is a subjective observation, but I give it some credence because I did not expect it and was surprised when I noticed it happening.

The air duct being oily, however, is a flat fact, not an opinion. It is oily.

K&N filters are a joke...total junk. Nothing but marketing hype. You have the visual evidence. How much dirt was in the oil trail?
K&N were developed for Baja Truck racing. Keeping the gritty sand and dirt out and keeping the engine clean enough to extend its life till the next race. Not terrible but designed for a purpose.

Back