Sears sells Craftsman tool brand to Stanley tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this was posted or not.

Link

Quote:
The cloudy future for international trade will prompt Stanley Black & Decker to build a new $35 million manufacturing facility in the U.S., company officials indicated Thursday.

Stanley officials indicated that the new plant would add some 1,200 manufacturing jobs to its already growing U.S. workforce, which currently stands at 3,000.

Yeah, I saw this coming years ago. I'm surprised it took Sears this long.

Sears has been circling the drain for a long time. Bad investments, inept management of the Craftsman line, failure to adapt to the shift to the e-marketplace, failure to keep up with their B&M competitors... They've been bleeding cash for a long time. I have absolutely no clue how Sears is still in business. Now, they're playing the only card they have left.

WRT Craftsman products: I was once a huge fan of Craftsman tools. Most of the Craftsman stuff I purchased ~15+ years ago was great. Most of the Craftsman stuff I bought 5-15 years ago was OK. A lot of the Craftsman stuff I've seen at stores over the past 5 years has been borderline garbage. Ratchets that skip right off the shelf... Combination wrenches forged so off center they look as if they're waiting to break... Screwdrivers with coatings so bad that they rust within months... horrible. It almost isn't worth the drive to Sears to take tools back for warranty, because the replacement might just be even worse than the broken tool it is replacing.

The worst part is, you can find better homeowner-grade tools almost anywhere now. Usually for cheaper than what they're asking for the Craftsman branded stuff. A lot of it even USA-made.

I would have been happier if this acquisition would have happened 10-15 years ago... Stanley/Black & Decker also owns Mac, Proto, Facom, DeWalt, Porter-Cable... good brands. SBD could have saved Craftsman's reputation, but Sears Holdings did their best to run it into the ground instead.

I really hope that SBD puts some thought into restoring the Craftsman name and puts quality back into the entire Craftsman line... but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen. In 6 months, you're going to see Craftsman tools in every Walmart, Target, and other mass-market retailer, and they're going to be the same homeowner-grade stuff currently under the Stanley/Black&Decker name. Honestly, I really won't mind.

I hadn't been to Sears for 5-7 yrs ... and wandered in one prior to Christmas 2016. The tool section had been stripped down to a few short rows?? I thought maybe they were conducting a reno. This is the Surrey Guildford store in BC (Canada).

Even in the late 80's Sears Canada Craftsman tools were imports, although decent. But their latest offerings look cheap.

A financial investment group owns Sears and Kmart both.
Their intent from the start was to secure the assets owned by these retail chains.
to liquidate them for profit. They could care less about pride of the companies or the core business.
In many ways Home Depot and Lowes ate Sears lunch anyway.
Cerberus who owned Chrysler had the same in mind for it too.
Corporate raiders. They run these companies under the guise of legitimacy with ulterior motive.
Shame to see Sears go down. They at one time had the very best products one could find.
I love my Craftsman tools. I hope Black and Decker restores the brand to former glory.
My question is, why would they with the brands they already have?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Sad day indeed, I always trusted the brand - the tools I bough from Craftsman never ever let me down!!!

How's it sad? They got bought by Stanley not Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sad day indeed, I always trusted the brand - the tools I bough from Craftsman never ever let me down!!!

Same difference!.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt

Same difference!.

I don't think so. Stanley is a quality American manufacturer and has been around longer than Sears or the Craftsman brand.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt

Same difference!.

I don't think so. Stanley is a quality American manufacturer and has been around longer than Sears or the Craftsman brand.

Stanley is not what it use to be either. The company put the DeWalt brand on their premium hand tools.
I wonder where Craftsman fits? De Walt should remain on the power tool. I fear Craftsman will be the cheap mass market tool for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back