Craftsman shut down Texas plant

$15 an hour is $30K a year. Imagine two 18 year olds in a rural area working at McDonalds bringing home $60,000 a year. They would be living like royalty and saying, why should we go to college if we can make this much money.
Going to college, for me, was to learn and get a job I wanted to do. Of course there was a money expectation too.
Don't get me wrong; all work is honorable. It's all about what you want.

Unfortunately manufacturing in the USA is very expensive and people in other countries are willing to work 12 hours a day for peanuts.

I understand most consumers want to buy the rock bottom cheapest tools they can find.

Unfortunately manufacturing in the USA is very expensive and people in other countries are willing to work 12 hours a day for peanuts.

I understand most consumers want to buy the rock bottom cheapest tools they can find.
Agree. People bash offshore outsourcing but buy the products.
And then blame the ....

45 years ago I worked summers while going to college at a tire plant. I paid more per hour than my first job after graduation. BUT it was not so hot that I drank a gallon of water before lunch break, and another gallon after lunch, and a third one before bed, along with a salt tab or 2. Improved the hell out of my grades.

Rod

$15 an hour is $30K a year. Imagine two 18 year olds in a rural area working at McDonalds bringing home $60,000 a year. They would be living like royalty and saying, why should we go to college if we can make this much money.
I am pretty sure that the $15 an hour wage paid to Mickey Dee workers is in the higher cost of living areas. Rural areas are likely closer to the state minimum wage which is typically lower.

We live in a semi-rural area and McD’s is like $15/hr. My son timed that just right! BUT he only works weekends, and I think most at McD’s / similar are working < 30hrs/wk, as it avoids paying benefits.

We live in a semi-rural area and McD’s is like $15/hr. My son timed that just right! BUT he only works weekends, and I think most at McD’s / similar are working < 30hrs/wk, as it avoids paying benefits.

Good that he has a part time job on the weekend.

Consumer's hunger for less expensive options.
Investor's hunger for larger yields.
Foreign countries offering cheap labor.
Unions.
Regulations.
Health Care benefit costs.
Legacy costs.
Strikes.
Politics.

Lots of hurdles facing US manufacturing.

Last edited:
Consumer's hunger for less expensive options.
Investor's hunger for larger yields.
Foreign countries offering cheap labor.
Unions.
Regulations.
Health Care benefit costs.
Legacy costs.
Strikes.
Politics.

Lots of hurdles facing US manufacturing.

The destruction of manufacturing in the USA started over 50 years ago.

I remember the big Levi’s Jean factory in San Antonio when I lived in Texas that was closed down long time ago.

Podunk WI here. Culver’s is paying adults $16/hr full time and benefits. It won’t be M-F but most factories aren’t either.

Back