Sears sells Craftsman tool brand to Stanley tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sears made many bad decisions. And yet another one regarding selling the Craftsman brand. I have worked for the company twice earning hobby money.

The issue with Craftsman started when they had some tools made overseas.

Well, like this soon to be thread, all things come to an end. It's been a long sad road, but it is coming. Not sure why the brands are being sold, as no one will care about the other brands anyways in a few years.....

That said-they will be missed-they were still part of my life....

Harbor Freight hand tools, also made in China, carry a lifetime warranty.
What are Sears and Stanley thinking?

This is a better "January surprise" than finding that they're bankrupt, again, and gift cards won't work.

Originally Posted By: Donald

That's right but also as someone pointed out that unlike HF that prices their tools accordingly Sears kept the price level the same as the higher quality USA made tools.
It seems Sears has done the wrong things for years and now they are paying the price, it was inevitable that the consumer wouldn't be asleep at the switch forever, whats wrong with these people.

I have quite a few craftsman tools and most of them have been good and trouble free. Of course most of them I bought years ago. The tool set that I use the most though and I've had since the 90's, is a set called Metrinch. I've only broke one socket over the years and it was because it was used with a large cheater bar. They have a lifetime warranty as well, you only have to pay a small shipping fee. My ratchet is still the original one and I've used it hard in the last 20+ years.

I just got a Sears gift card for Christmas. I guess I had better use it soon.

Wayne

Good name for the Chief Execution Officer a boardroom swamp stayed with for how long? That's why I prefer to think of this at the local level. I have many investments - but Sears was never one. The store manager who just helped me load my new Craftsman air compressor did not muck it up. He also sold me a whole kitchen full of stainless kit a decade ago that never failed me to date.
This is yet another Kodak, Nokia, Motorola, etc story - where these snakes should not slither off with a dime.
(Only coin that fits under them)
What tool did a hedge hog (fund manager) build ? What did they ever build period. High class parasites.

This was a long time coming, and they sold Craftsman a lot cheaper than many of the so called Wall Street Gurus thought it was worth. I'm glad that's one investment I stayed clear of. Now lets see what Stanley does with the brand, from the looks of it HF was eating Craftsman's lunch.

Last Sears tools I bought were those Wilde made pry bars. US made and $15. Used them a few times so far and I really like them despite them not having the strike pads. I wonder how or if those previous manufacturing contracts will carry over to Stanley?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

One day, you will be able to buy Craftsman tools a Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

One day, you will be able to buy Craftsman tools a Harbor Freight.

I was thinking the same thing. Time will tell.

Doesn't Stanley own MAC too.

Craftsman is MACs version of Blue Point?

The older US made Craftsman have always been good tools, though I am not a fan of the textured finish. the few newer things I have from them are junk.

Maybe Stanley can bring it back to US made. (Or bring MAC back to all us made and label the offshore stuff Craftsman?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Doesn't Stanley own MAC too.

Craftsman is MACs version of Blue Point?

The older US made Craftsman have always been good tools, though I am not a fan of the textured finish. the few newer things I have from them are junk.

Maybe Stanley can bring it back to US made. (Or bring MAC back to all us made and label the offshore stuff Craftsman?)

Thats a decent idea if viable. Stanley owns Proto though for that, no??

Sears was going no where as is. This last attempt may morph them into something completely different. No one is interested in their model except a generation dying off and going elsewhere.

I never minded their tools however the idea to set foot in their store or using website in last 10 years made me cringe.

I am not convinced that Made in USA equates to any quality as they cheap out here now too.

Have you ever noticed the decline in every business' product always seems to begin when they stop producing it in US and start producing it overseas?

Originally Posted By: wtd

At my local Sears, gift cards can be used to purchase other gift cards. Worth trying IMO if you want to get rid of it fast and don't have anything you need at Sears.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Have you ever noticed the decline in every business' product always seems to begin when they stop producing it in US and start producing it overseas?

Grampi, i was not even born then, but i thought this started with the big friendship/open relations with nixon and china in the '60s?
(nothing political, just fact producing, sorry for not staying on topic)

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
most are reminiscent of department stores in the old Soviet Union.

[off-topic]
little time-capsule glimpse from eastern-europe:
stores/department stores where 2 kinds:
-the empty ones (as in empty shelfs) on many floors. escalators and moving-stairs never worked because the 1 company specialized and approved (in the whole country) for repairs didn't have time/parts for it...
-the well run ones (depends on how well connected politically and in supply-chain where the local rulers) strict enforced rules: no western products! but local knock-offs where OK/approved
....you had to "grease" hand to have access to new stock/know when coming

small variation: the empty ones (even soviet ones) became very full around 80's Olympiad because of tourists expected....
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Originally Posted By: wtd

At my local Sears, gift cards can be used to purchase other gift cards. Worth trying IMO if you want to get rid of it fast and don't have anything you need at Sears.
I may have to try that if I don't see anything I want. I've not been in a sears store for probably a couple of years.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Donald

That's right but also as someone pointed out that unlike HF that prices their tools accordingly Sears kept the price level the same as the higher quality USA made tools.
It seems Sears has done the wrong things for years and now they are paying the price, it was inevitable that the consumer wouldn't be asleep at the switch forever, whats wrong with these people.
Sears seemed to always priced Craftsman tools high so they could have big sales. I rarely considered buying anything not on sale unless it was a single odd socket or wrench I needed. This was before the made in China Craftsman hand tools. Harbor Freight wins that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back