Sears closing more stores before christmas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that's the ultimate belly flop.. closing stores DURING the busiest time of year?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102237069
Quote:

Sears shares fell Thursday, after the struggling department store announced an adjusted net loss of $296 million—in line with the updated guidance it gave in November.

The retailer also said it's accelerating the number of stores it plans to close this year, boosting its list from the 130 underperforming stores it announced in its second-quarter earnings release, to a total of 235 stores.

Analysts called the move a step in the right direction for the company, which has been tapping into its real estate in creative ways to compensate for downward-spiraling sales. Still, they said the haircut won't be enough on its own to turn the tide at Sears, adding that it needs to close even more stores—and figure out how to become profitable.

In other news they should have offered college classes in how to use sears coupons.. between hot buys, deal buys, syrw, syrw coupons, cashback links.. it gets complicated.

For example.

I wanted a flexzilla retractable air hose for the garage.

112$+@amazon 139$ locally 99$ at sears after searching by model number. If you searched by desc. it came up with a 3rd party seller for 169$

So the deal breakdown noob deal= 99.97+tax = 107$

Here is where I got money, 100$ in gift cards from giant eagle for fuelperks = 12$ in gas
amex 3% cash back at grocery store(giant eagle) = 3$
fatwallet click through for 6% cash back = 7$

Thats a pretty basic deal right there..
if you want to "GO PRO"

you
added (3) 11oz cans of wd40 and 1 set of craftmans mechanix wear gloves which total ~25$
This lets you use the 10$ off 100$ tools coupon, and 20$ in Sywr points coupon

ended up paying 117$

got 3+12+7 = 22$ cash back/gas
also 20$ in syrw points

Total cost: 75$

The mechanix gloves for 10$ are a stocking stuffer.. and a good deal.

The wd40 is a work expense =60$ total for the 112$ flexzilla retractable hose and 10$ stocking stuffer gloves.

And we all wonder why sears is going under.....

Disclaimer: this post does not mean POP_RIVET's grammar and spelling standards... and was typed on my cell phone.

thumbsup2.gif
Nice deal.

We have no Giant Eagle here, but periodically the local grocery runs buy $100, get a $10 or $20 coupon. I stack that with 5% cash back from the Sallie Mae/Barclays card... and then get annoyed that ShopDiscover is running 10% cash back at their mall, so I order through shop Discover and then when I do my in store pickup, buy Amazon gift cards with my Sears gift cards in store.
grin.gif

went to add this to the first post but edit timer expired.

link to the Flexzilla hose reel .. its really great incase anyone wants to jump in on the deal

if you are a sywr member
get the swyr "20$ in points on 100$ tools" coupon and
"10$ off 100$ tools" coupon

then you need a total purchase of at least 115-120$
99.97 being the hose reel the filler items being at least 15-20$ and no "hot buy" or "clearance" filler item(s).
(example that doesn't work is most dewalt accessories)

another good filler is boeshield t9 I love that stuff.

Last edited:
Lol, the Sears houses. I do not own one but I know someone who did (or still may). It was located in northern Illinois somewhere and he had all the sales receipts, etc. that had been handed down owner-to-owner. He said the lumber was stamped with part numbers as well.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Recall it started out as a rural Minnesota catalog outfit. Anybody live in a Sears house?

Quote:
and figure out how to become profitable.

I really don't think that's possible.

Time to liquidate the company and give whatever money is made back to the shareholders.

The Sears at the mall was sure busy Thanksgiving night/ black Friday. I need to use up my gift card!

I guess I don't understand why they're going under...what is to become of Craftsman tools if they go under? Can they go on as a separate entity?

Sears laid off most of their employees. We're losing a KMart too. It may have closed already - not sure.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lol, the Sears houses. I do not own one but I know someone who did (or still may). It was located in northern Illinois somewhere and he had all the sales receipts, etc. that had been handed down owner-to-owner. He said the lumber was stamped with part numbers as well.

Recall it started out as a rural Minnesota catalog outfit. Anybody live in a Sears house?

There are a few people on the local county history facebook page that live in them!

Originally Posted By: grampi
I guess I don't understand why they're going under...what is to become of Craftsman tools if they go under? Can they go on as a separate entity?

I'm guessing Home Depot and Lowe's are stealing business. I don't know of many people that shop Sears for the other things they sell (clothes, personal care, etc).

what is to become of Craftsman tools if they go under? Can they go on as a separate entity?

The Craftsman brand might be worth a substantial amount of money if spun off to some other company. However, Sears has done significant damage to the Craftsman reputation already by moving manufacturing to China, resulting in decreased quality. I think the revised no-longer-lifetime warranty has left a sour taste in some people's mouths too.

My point: if Sears wants to get maximum value out of selling off the Craftsman brand, it better do it soon.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
what is to become of Craftsman tools if they go under? Can they go on as a separate entity?

The Craftsman brand might be worth a substantial amount of money if spun off to some other company. However, Sears has done significant damage to the Craftsman reputation already by moving manufacturing to China, resulting in decreased quality. I think the revised no-longer-lifetime warranty has left a sour taste in some people's mouths too.

My point: if Sears wants to get maximum value out of selling off the Craftsman brand, it better do it soon.
Up here in the blue north, where the lie is king, it's no wonder Sears changed their tool warranty, it's a common sport to abuse Sears tools and bragg about making Sears "eat" them. Well, looks like the goose is dead.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Sears has done significant damage to the Craftsman reputation already by moving manufacturing to China, resulting in decreased quality.

They started slipping the Chinese tools in with the holiday specials a few Christmas' ago, as if no one was going to notice.

I figured they were on there way down when they merged with KMart. I've despised Kamapart® since I was a kid.

I make a living using their hand tools. In a way I'm sad to see them go, but another part of me says good riddance. Great cheap tools for hobbyists with a good warranty, but just never went the extra centimeter for professional use.

I would never buy anything from sears with a warranty. they will close soon. so much for my lifetime craftsman tool set from 1998. I got another 50 years.

There is a remote small suburb in Cleveland (Oakwood) that has a whole street of them.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Up here in the blue north, where the lie is king, it's no wonder Sears changed their tool warranty, it's a common sport to abuse Sears tools and bragg about making Sears "eat" them. Well, looks like the goose is dead.

Sorry, the tool warranty didn't kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back