Sealing of window squeegee

JHZR2

Staff member
The PS window squeegee on my Ram is not keeping the water on the outside. It has a small gap, and since I currently have the door card off, I can see just how much water is flowing right on through in heavy rains.

Im not sure why it’s not working right, I think there may be some rust under the lip that the window squeegee sits.

I don’t currently have time to investigate much, as I do think there’s a bit of rust, it fees a bit crunchy underneath. Nothing visible. Not sure if it would affect the angle that the seal sits against the glass. My hope is to just seal the whole thing enough to prevent water entry.

I don’t use the window. But of course I’d like it to be reversible. I’m thinking some kind of tape. Something to direct the water flow down the outside versus going inside the door (which is rust free and just got a coat of cosmolene in there).

What would work best? Does the silicone tape stick to glass? Black gorilla tape? Don’t want to damage the door paint, in case there isn’t much remediation needed. Thoughts?

Maybe some non residue duck tape. We used that temporarily on my sunroof on my Escape just put it around the edges and it held up through a big rainstorm with no issues. I would check on it periodically of course but that might work good. I can’t speak for the silicone tape I have no experience with that

Any tape you use will get sun bleached and the adhesive will bake on past the “safe removal” time. I’d try not to get the tape on the painted area, but on the weatherstrip that you plan to replace

with that said, looks like 3M ported to the automotive side their poly tape they sell under the Scotch Blue marque. UV resistant and 7 day safe removal time.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/precision-poly-tape/

What about this until you get time to fix correctly ?
Won't harden so it seals tight, yet can be easily removed
At least make sure your Door Drains are not clogged.

Edit: I'm also becoming a fan of Cosmoline

Last edited:
I'm guessing a "window squeegee" equates to a window trim seal strip. The ones on my Toyota all split and turned gummy after only a few years. Replacements were about $40 each. (The ones on my Mazda cracked apart, too, but only after a much longer time exposed to sunlight.)

Back