sealed in plastic, then in box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only filter i've ever seen (besides oiled filters) that comes in a sealed plastic bag and thenin the box are motorcraft. allthe others are in a flimsy cardboard box that are almost always half open on the shelf. i like the idea of a sealed product. thoughts?

Could this be the next Tylenol/Cyanide scare? Some twisted deviant contaminating unsealed oil filters with sand?

Engines suddenly and mysteriously dropping dead?

I think Fram's high-end filters are in a sealed cylinder. Personally it doesn't bother me much. I always pull and visually inspect before buying.

Edit: I see this is about air filters, but same reasoning applies

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
the only filter i've ever seen (besides oiled filters) that comes in a sealed plastic bag and thenin the box are motorcraft. allthe others are in a flimsy cardboard box that are almost always half open on the shelf. i like the idea of a sealed product. thoughts?

Which MC filters did you see like that? I hand out a ton a day to our backshop and dont remember any packaged like that, even the bulk packaged filters.

Sealed? I think that would be over-doing it. As if we don't need more plastic to junk up the environment.

Fine a filter goes from a unsealed air filled open ended box then is placed in an extreme environment of heat and splashing lava like oil.

I think it can handle a few days relaxing in a box with no problems until its time to work.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: hardcore302

Which MC filters did you see like that? I hand out a ton a day to our backshop and dont remember any packaged like that, even the bulk packaged filters.

paper air filter for my mustang. looking at it right now.

I've always questioned the effects of the environment on a air filter's media over time.

I know this is *not* an apples to apples comparison, but think about what happens to paper if left outside in the elements over a period of time. Even if you keep it in your (detached) garage, per say, it seems to weather somewhat. It may not be in direct contact with rain, snow, sun, etc, but the temperature swings and humidity levels seem to cause deterioration none the less.

I would imagine the same would happen with air filters as well. I will assume the media has been engineered to handle these things, but it is still cellulose, yes?

I'm all for plastic-wrapping these types of filters for storage before purchase. Most of the time they are in a (hopefully) climate controlled store before you recieve them, but it would add a level of protection I would appreciate as well.

Air filters are one thing I don't go cheap on, as I keep them on our cars for a couple/few years and many, many miles.

I don't see it on air filters, but oil filters normally come like this, with plastic shrink, thin box, corrugated box of 12.
stacks_image_4841_1.jpg

Picked up a PureONE air filter last night. It was sealed in plastic inside the box. Of course it's oil wetted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back