Scrathed my windshild trying to remove water spots

I was trying to remove some water spots and I put some circular scratches in my windshield using a green scotch guard pad. I had read that this would do the trick if done lightly. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. So, first question is can these be removed? Secondly, what is the trick to getting stubborn water spots off off glass?

Originally Posted By: allboy
I was trying to remove some water spots and I put some circular scratches in my windshield using a green scotch guard pad. I had read that this would do the trick if done lightly. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. So, first question is can these be removed? Secondly, what is the trick to getting stubborn water spots off off glass?
Water spots are mineral deposits. I would think CLR diluted as directions call for might work with a soft cloth, but NOT a scotchbrite pad.. But don't get on the painted surfaces. As far as the scratches, check with a glass company, they may be able to buff them out with 3000 grit or something like that. Get some advice from a professional before you do more damage.

Go to a windshield repair shop and have them polish the glass. They can use something like cerium oxide. My dealer scratched a window with one of those stupid key boxes, but a glass shop was able to polish it out.

green scotchbrite is not scratch free.. in fact I used a couple pieces cleaning up the brake hardware last week. the blue stuff you see on the back of scratchfree dish sponges would be alot better for the window.

Last edited:
Some water spots are not the accumulation of minerals. Some are actually etched glass. Mild acids won't remove them as there is nothing to remove. A pro with glass polish might be able to help.

Polishing compound followed by (Wait for it) toothpaste can take out light scratches on a windshield. Lots of elbow grease, or a very gentle touch with a buffer required.

Bud_One

Site Donor 2021
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
When I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer 20 years ago, the detail workers used Bon Ami on the windshield to clean it.
+1 thumbsup Old GM Tech showed me this... especially when you had wipers chattering