Scrathed my windshild trying to remove water spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to remove some water spots and I put some circular scratches in my windshield using a green scotch guard pad. I had read that this would do the trick if done lightly. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. So, first question is can these be removed? Secondly, what is the trick to getting stubborn water spots off off glass?

Originally Posted By: allboy
I was trying to remove some water spots and I put some circular scratches in my windshield using a green scotch guard pad. I had read that this would do the trick if done lightly. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. So, first question is can these be removed? Secondly, what is the trick to getting stubborn water spots off off glass?

Water spots are mineral deposits. I would think CLR diluted as directions call for might work with a soft cloth, but NOT a scotchbrite pad.. But don't get on the painted surfaces. As far as the scratches, check with a glass company, they may be able to buff them out with 3000 grit or something like that. Get some advice from a professional before you do more damage.

Go to a windshield repair shop and have them polish the glass. They can use something like cerium oxide.

My dealer scratched a window with one of those stupid key boxes, but a glass shop was able to polish it out.

green scotchbrite is not scratch free.. in fact I used a couple pieces cleaning up the brake hardware last week.

the blue stuff you see on the back of scratchfree dish sponges would be alot better for the window.

Last edited:
Some water spots are not the accumulation of minerals. Some are actually etched glass. Mild acids won't remove them as there is nothing to remove.

A pro with glass polish might be able to help.

When I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer 20 years ago, the detail workers used Bon Ami on the windshield to clean it.

Polishing compound followed by (Wait for it) toothpaste can take out light scratches on a windshield. Lots of elbow grease, or a very gentle touch with a buffer required.

I have always had good luck using plain old white vinegar for removing water spots.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
When I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer 20 years ago, the detail workers used Bon Ami on the windshield to clean it.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
Old GM Tech showed me this... especially when you had wipers chattering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back