Scored a rototiller from the curb

Had a nice curb find yesterday. Neighbor a few doors down was doing some spring cleaning and put a Troy-bilt Pony rototiller out by the curb. I snatched it up as soon as I saw it and have been giving it a once over. I have another Pony tiller that was my grandad's and is roughly the same age ( 5hp briggs on this one is a 94) so I figured this would be a good parts machine if nothing else. It has definitely been stored out doors and sitting a LONG time. Gas tank had 1/4in of rust/varnish in the bottom of it so I took it off and cleaned it. I tried Muriatic acid and it really does some work, but is scary stuff.. I left the gas cap on after I filled it with a 50/50 mixture and the stuff dissolved all the rust, and the pot metal rivet that held the gas cap together! Any way the tiller fired on starting fluid and moves with the pull rope on the engine so I ordered a carb for it and am going to see how it runs.

Only really bizarre thing on it is someone has replaced both wheels/tires with some even older ones off a bigger tiller. I'd say these are for a 1.25 axle and this tiller has a 1in axle, so they wobble around while its rolling, not sure why anyone would have done that.

What do you think this thing would be worth running and working? I know they are desirable tillers. It definetly has low hours. Tines have very little wear and you can still read Troy-Bilt on the belts.

Attachments

• IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 110
I bought this tiller from a co worker fall of 2020 and it quickly turned into a project.

I ended up giving it away since every time I touched it, it broke. A guy took it and fixed it up and is now asking $850. He seemed to know a lot about them so I’m sure he isn’t too unreasonable with the price.

I’d say running, yours is worth half that at least. Maybe a little more.
0502FB72-67D4-41BF-9CA5-41509521A5D1.png

I bought this tiller from a co worker fall of 2020 and it quickly turned into a project.

I ended up giving it away since every time I touched it, it broke. A guy took it and fixed it up and is now asking $850. He seemed to know a lot about them so I’m sure he isn’t too unreasonable with the price.

View attachment 93013
I couldn't believe how much the things cost new these days. A similar one to mine is $1400 and a electric start Horse size is over $2500.. I think I may ask $450-500 and see what happens.. Although I better not hang onto it to long I get attached to things with good running flat head briggs motors. haha

What do you think this thing would be worth running and working? I know they are desirable tillers. It definetly has low hours. Tines have very little wear and you can still read Troy-Bilt on the belts.
That could depend upon if it is a real Troy-Bilt or one of the newer MTD machines. The original ones made in Troy, NY are probably more valuable.

That could depend upon if it is a real Troy-Bilt or one of the newer MTD machines. The original ones made in Troy, NY are probably more valuable.
This one was made in Troy, NY. Engine is a 1994 Model. I've got a new set of wheels/tires coming (going to put the new ones on the pony I'm going to keep and put the original ones off it on this one) and I'm going to put it on FB marketplace. I'll post what I end up getting for it. Will be a good machine for someone and its the right time of year to sell a tiller.

View attachment 93013
That's the larger "Horse" model. It's a much beefier machine than the Pony. Worth more too. The Horse had 8 HP and both a wider and deeper tilling capability. It was the classic Troy-Bilt tiller. The Pony came along late in the game and was always 5 HP. IIRC I purchased my Pony in 1986 for $800 and picked it up directly from the factory. At that time Troy-Bilt offered a lifetime promise to rebuild your tiller and put on a new engine for one half the price of a new tiller. MTD determined that this was a marketing pledge and not a warranty and discontinued this promise. Luckily my 36 year old Pony still works fine, and I was gifted a new set of tines last XMAS.

I had one very similar that was a Snapper brand. I thought the two cables going to the tiller handle was an odd design. If you operate it in reverse, be berry, berry careful with your feet.

Last edited:
This one was made in Troy, NY. Engine is a 1994 Model. I've got a new set of wheels/tires coming (going to put the new ones on the pony I'm going to keep and put the original ones off it on this one) and I'm going to put it on FB marketplace. I'll post what I end up getting for it. Will be a good machine for someone and its the right time of year to sell a tiller.
I'd list it for $450 and see what happens. The new ones are cheap junk, and people are starting to figure this out. Last season I flipped a few of them, picked them up with blown engines and dropped a Predator or Honda on them and sold them on FB. They were the larger Horse model, but some people came from hours away to buy them.

I'd list it for $450 and see what happens. The new ones are cheap junk, and people are starting to figure this out. Last season I flipped a few of them, picked them up with blown engines and dropped a Predator or Honda on them and sold them on FB. They were the larger Horse model, but some people came from hours away to buy them.

I'm going to put the wheels/tires on it today and list it, so we'll see what it brings. Do you loose reverse when you do a predator swap? I know this engine has 2 pulleys on the back of it.

Since I've got this one I've spotted a horse in the weeds near my house.. I'm tempted to knock on the door and see if they want to get rid of it.

I love the Kohler Magnum engines like on the second one. I had several of them and they are a beast.

I'm going to put the wheels/tires on it today and list it, so we'll see what it brings. Do you loose reverse when you do a predator swap? I know this engine has 2 pulleys on the back of it.

Since I've got this one I've spotted a horse in the weeds near my house.. I'm tempted to knock on the door and see if they want to get rid of it.
On that model you would, since reverse is run off the camshaft. They do make newer Briggs engines with the dual shaft setup.

On the Horse model they are single shaft, and the engine sits in a cradle that moves up/down for forward and reverse.

Back