scoping my Rugar Super Blackhawk "Hunter" suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My RSBH (Rugar super blackhawk hunter) model in .44 magnum 7.5 inch barrel. Ive Never hunted with or Scoped a pistol. Ive got more kills with longuns from blackpowder, shotguns, carbines, etc.. Ive just never played with pistols for more than Personal protection or Plinking. So ive decided to Hunt with this new pistol that comes from the factory with a built in rail and Rugar scope rings (its pretty obvious Rugar wants you to scope this gun)
lol.gif

the gun:

So with that said, Im looking at everything from a leupold to a simmons and everything inbetween.. Where i hunt being able to shoot out to 100yrds is a big plus, I dont know what to expect getting into this, but im deffinately looking forward to the challenge

This is what im looking at for the carry rig while Hunting:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Kodiac%20hunter%20kh130h

thoughts, opinions, suggestions, welcome

Im in love with .44 for indiana Deer Hunting, ive taken my last three Deer and my second largest buck to date with a Rugar 77/44 carbine.. just awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to use the Super Redhawk for some years with the leupold M8 silver series 4x scope.
I'd dial it and, then found using 240gr, where the cross hairs (lower) met at the lower post point, it was on at 200yds. Made it fun plinking soda cans at 200yds. Set the can at the lower post point and have at it.
Of course all loads were home hand loads, so never knew what a factory load would do.
The 240 grain was popular back then, but I loaded light to 300gr+
Had the longer 9-1/2" barrel on mine.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I used to use the Super Redhawk for some years with the leupold M8 silver series 4x scope.
I'd dial it and, then found using 240gr, where the cross hairs (lower) met at the lower post point, it was on at 200yds. Made it fun plinking soda cans at 200yds. Set the can at the lower post point and have at it.
Of course all loads were home hand loads, so never knew what a factory load would do.
The 240 grain was popular back then, but I loaded light to 300gr+
Had the longer 9-1/2" barrel on mine.

I had and did just about the same thing, except I would load 200 grn hard cast for lower recoil and higher velocity and the scope was 2X.

Still have the gun but it doesn't get shot much anymore.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Never heard of Rugar, is it a copy of a Ruger?

Seriouselly thee spellling PoLiSe ? So that's you'r contribution to the post ?

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

Well...I was going to point out the incorrect use of capital letters and punctuation and remind you that good grammar is a courtesy to the reader.

But I can see that my comment would fall on deaf ears as well.

Particularly since this post is spelled with more care (but only similar accuracy) than the original....you might (and I mean this seriously) consider using Google Chrome and turning on the "spell check"...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

Well...I was going to point out the incorrect use of capital letters and punctuation and remind you that good grammar is a courtesy to the reader.

But I can see that my comment would fall on deaf ears as well.

Particularly since this post is spelled with more care (but only similar accuracy) than the original....you might (and I mean this seriously) consider using Google Chrome and turning on the "spell check"...

wow, more complaints on gramar than actual coments on the topic.. so your in the same boat, you have nothing to contribute to this post other than to click on it and complain about spelling.. So do you have anything to add to the actual topic ? or are you just going to continue to thread hop looking for spelling errors and complaining ?

I dont need reminding about good gramar, my spelling is awfull and i know it, thankfully its not a requiremnt for my particular skill set.. Most MEN that frequent this site get the gist of what one another are saying, lets save the sissy spelling finger pointing for the little girls that like to pick on one another..

Spelling and grammar are important aspects of good forum communication. Everyone makes mistakes, but one should strive to use the best form possible.

What is childish is to blow the comment out of proportion. Back on track, please.

And you are pretty well unlikely to get Weatherby Eyebrow into the bargain.

link

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Super Redhawk close to 20 years ago. After much consideration I mounted an Aimpoint red dot with 1X magnification. No complaints. Nice for medium range (50-60 yard) shots. Go to load was 260gr Hornaday over a lot of WIN296.

Kind of think about your shooting conditions, and the fact you will have some sort of long eye relief scope/sight. Crosshairs in low light conditions can be a PITA to see on long relief scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back