Schumacher Battery Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a couple of battery chargers. I'll probably get a nice one with a jump starter for home use, a cheaper trickle charger to leave at another location. Advance auto and sams club have Schumacher brand. Are these pretty good chargers? I think This model for home use and thsi cheaper one to leave elsewhere. Schumacher seems like a pretty good brand. Any reason not to get these two?

I've got the Sam's Club Schumacher if it's the larger wheeled one. The timer failed after not too long (you have to manually turn it off now), but everything else works fine. For the features and price, it's hard to beat.

that sucks. how long have you had it? I bet they'd exchange it if you ask. sams is pretty good about customer satisfaction to stay up there with costco.

I've got the smaller charger I use to maintain small batteries in my shed (2 scooters & lawn tractor.) and it does fine. I simply switch from one battery to the next about once a week and they're all 3 always ready to go.

Have used it continuously for about 4-years now with no problems. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Schumacher is certainly the most recognized brand in the diy market. It's a shame they moved their manufacturing out of the country, but what can you do?

It's interesting that the first link you show must be an old model or one that is made just for Sams, because it does not show up on the Schumacher web site.

My only concern is that 10 to 25 amps seems a tad high for a single auto battery. Slower is better for battery health and I "thought" that 6 to 10 amps was better. Unless you abuse your batteries often (leave lights on, unused vehicle) you shouldn't need a charger often, so I guess an occassional 10 amp charge won't be too detrimental. If it is a true "smart charger" and goes down from 10 amps along the way, then you are better off. I would ask them about that.

I have one of their triple-slope "On-board battery charger/maintainers". It works OK, but drains a little current when unplugged. That's a flaw when for my use, where it might be unplugged for a few weeks at a time.

I've had two Schumacher chargers. Both have failed miserably. One just died completely, the other never really worked. It won't charge a battery unless it's
I won't be buying any more Schumacher chargers.

do they all shut off before overcharging? I guess that should be a requirement. I bought one from Advance Auto a while back and used it for about 6 hours and returned it (my bad). It must have been a Schumacher and it worked fine. The battery was DEAD though, no turn over.

Wet cell battery stand-by longevity is longest when the battery is not held at peak charge. That means bringing the battery up to 13.8-14.1 volts, holding it there for a few minutes to a few hours for equalization and plate surface conditioning. Then the battery is maintained at a float voltage of 13.2 or 13.4 volts, adjusted for temperature.

Batteries in cycle service (e.g. golf carts, sailboats) are best charged hard to a higher level (even 14.4V), and then held at 13.8V or so. Only a few chargers are "smart" enough to allow the voltage to drop back to 13.2V if the battery isn't used for a week or two.

The magic in the charging is during plate equalization and conditioning. Pulsing the voltage, even to the point of a little discharge, can improve the usable capacity of a degraded battery.

Last edited:
djb,

Do you have any idea which "smart" battery chargers are good? It seems like there are a number of brands used by the solar people that are difficult to find out about.

Do you think Batteryminder and Interactor live up to their hype?

Vector/Black & Decker?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Do you think Batteryminder and Interactor live up to their hype?

BatteryMinder is a GREAT charger! Like I said above mine will top off batteries that other chargers said were "full". It has also recovered more than one bad battery with it's desuplating ability, which has totally paid for itself.

schumacher speedcharge chargers have desulfating ability...i was actually thinking about buying one of these. It seems they could take the place of a small battery tender to maintain a battery not used often, but still be used in engine start conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back