school me on TPMS sensors???

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Honda Civic (kids) 105k...I know zero about TPMS sensors

Need new TPMS sensors when I replace the tires. What is the clone/re-learn mean on the Rock Auto ones?

Should I just get Honda parts?

Last edited:
so your current tpms sensors aren't working?

if they are, no need to changethem, unless they get broke during mounting of the tyres.

I'm not on par with honda tpms otherwise, so can't comment on the clones...

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
so your current tpms sensors aren't working?

if they are, no need to changethem, unless they get broke during mounting of the tyres.

I'm not on par with honda tpms otherwise, so can't comment on the clones...

I'm thinking the 100k change out

Originally Posted By: Rand
they have a rebuild kit to replace the batteries and seals.

Yeah but I am thinking corrosion in NE ohio

I got mine replaced at Costco they cost about $55 each installed for my Acura TL.Tire store wanted $100 apiece Dill sensors similar to OE. The Honda sensors are auto learn some other makes need to be programmed.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any issues with getting stuff done and parts from Costco, these guys stick behind their stuff in an unbelievable fashion.

As for the schooling:

I am a FIRM advocate of them.

They should be in your Summer AND Winter set of tires. They are needed in most Traction Control systems. If the TPMS Sensors don't work, your TC system is disabled.

If you are going down a Highway and you hear a strange noise, you are able to monitor if it is a flat tire, allowing you to pull over promptly allowing you to "save" the tire from being run too long flat and shredding the sidewall.

They make it easier to monitor your tire pressure to keep up with inflating your tires.

I agree if you live in a very salty area, maybe changing them completely is in order rather than changing the battery and seals.

But I think rebuilding them would work well too.

I've never seen a TPMS sensor with a replaceable battery. Not saying they're not out there in some application, but they're certainly not the norm.

Given that the current sensors are about at what would be the expected service life, I'd just replace them, corrosion or not. Yeah, you might get another five years out of them, but compared to a lot of sensors out there, you're already living on borrowed time.

According to Tire Rack, you're going to need the plug-in tool to let the car learn the new sensors. Anybody who sells the sensors should be able to do it for you, but be sure to ask first. As others have mentioned, I'd absolutely trust Costco to know what they're doing with a sensor installation.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I've never seen a TPMS sensor with a replaceable battery. Not saying they're not out there in some application, but they're certainly not the norm.

Given that the current sensors are about at what would be the expected service life, I'd just replace them, corrosion or not. Yeah, you might get another five years out of them, but compared to a lot of sensors out there, you're already living on borrowed time.

According to Tire Rack, you're going to need the plug-in tool to let the car learn the new sensors. Anybody who sells the sensors should be able to do it for you, but be sure to ask first. As others have mentioned, I'd absolutely trust Costco to know what they're doing with a sensor installation.

The ford stem style, 9L3Z-1A189-A use a CR2032 type battery (not sure the number exactly but that style), but they are pretty much in there forever. I was playing with an old one trying to see if I could get it out, but you have to destroy the case to get the battery out. Would be nice if someone had thought ahead and made the batteries replaceable, but the they couldn't sell a $100 every few years.

Yeah, there are a lot of sensors that will use an off-the-shelf cell, but they're either welded to the contacts inside the case or the case is sealed. Either way, they're not intended to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
The Honda sensors are auto learn

So, does that mean no programming needed?

Yes I had the Dill sensors installed and no programming was needed. I was able to locate the sensor online for $40. Costco installed the same sensor for $55.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dan55
Yes I had the Dill sensors installed and no programming was needed. I was able to locate the sensor online for $40. Costco installed the same sensor for $55.

I called my dealer and they said the 2009 Civic has to be initialized with a computer tool. Plus it's only 4 wheels so don't bother the spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back