scheduled OCI or OLM indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I received a letter from GM telling me that my first OCI for my newly bought Impala "SS" is scheduled for 3K. THE "oil life monitor" and the "ON STAR" system indicates I won't need an OCI until around 6500K. So what should I go by?????? When the time comes this will be my FIRST oil change for this car. I beleive it's the factory fill Mobil 5000 oil.

Durango

I would follow the recommendation in the letter, GM must find out lately that the assembly of your engine leave a lot of junks in it.

Durango,
3,000 mi. is OK for the FF, but definately you can go by the OLM after that. That is definately a dealer saying 3,000 mi, not GM.
I have an 06' Impala SS I bought new and love the car. I changed the FF at 3,000 mi. and have been using Amsoil XL 5W30 with either a Pure One or Napa Gold filter. Have been changing it every 6 months which for me is about 5500 mi and about 30% left on the OLM. Some say this is overkill, but the car doesn't use a drop of oil and runs great, so why not. You will notice in hot weather with the A/C on you will get "mucho heat" from that 5.3L/327. It's normal to see smoke coming from the dipstick tube when you check it on these motors. Although it is not specd' I like Synthetis Oil due to my cold winters and hot running motor in the summer. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you all for your postings. I'd better re-check that letter as it might be from the dealership and not the head office from which I thought. I still think it is though.

When 3K comes around I'll swap out the FF and put in some of their Chevron brand synthetic and go by the OLM afterwards. Now that you all mention it that is much better form me and the engine all around.

Take care,

Durango

After a similar post, I am just going to change the oil every 5k on the g/f's car...the OLM wanted to do it every 9-11k and I am not okay with that; especially on dino. I will be resetting the OLM each time I cange the oil unless I determin 5k is about 50% on the OLM and then I might just change it every 50% that goes by.

FastSUV,

Usually I'd never consider waiting that long for an oil change unless I have an oil n' filter that can do the distance.

In my case I can't understand why the dealership options to use Chevron brand oil instead of the standard Mobil 1 synthetic???
I've heard they market M1 oil under GM's own part number/over the parts counter.

Anyway my question has been answered so I don't want this to continue forwver. Thanks for your replies.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back