Schaeffer's Moly EP Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a local Napa that carries this. I went ahead and bought a bottle to add to my stash.
I have read up on it in the past and the most recent post I can google is from 2007. What is the virdict on the Moly EP oil treatment?
From what I read everything Schaeffer's has to offer is very good stuff. However I was wondering if anyone had any more recent data they can share.

Thanks!

It is not really a Moly add, in fact it has very little Moly.

Here is a VOA of it, probably a few years old, a buddy sent it to me. It is know for Antimony, but that wasn't a good name for it.

Chromium 1
Nickel 1
Lead 3
Tin 1
Silver 0.3
Vanadium 3

Moly 23
Phosphorus 104
Zinc 6
Antimony 23

Vi @ 40c 2545.6
Vi @ 100c 238.5
VI Index 232
TAN 0.17
TBN 0.34

I read the VOA after buying some, it certainly doesn't look impressive, I bought it based on what I read here. We used it in my brothers boat the engine has a ton of hours on it and we wanted to see if it helped any. He also runs dino in the boat and wanted something to cling to the internals, since it sits sometimes for a few weeks in salt water. Seems like a glorified STP??????? I better hide. LOL
27.gif

Honestly I'm not much of a believer in UOA or VOA, I've seen enough of them botched up. I would think the people at Schaffers know exactly what they're doing, and it is the combination of chemicals that makes the end product work its magic, I hope........
21.gif

Yeah, I found all of those posts earlier in my searches.
The conclusion of those threads was that the chemical make up (Penetro?)is doing all the work and so the add pack on the VOA does not tell you much.

I wouldn't compare anything Schaffer's makes to STP or Lucas. Molecule has good things to say about it in that thread too. That goes a long way for me.
Perhaps I need to do a few tests once I start using this.

That was why I mentioned not being much of a believer of the VOA. It is the finished product that matters. Schaffers has a good rep, that was enough for me.

I have used it in a lot of classic cars and it works great. It made the engines run smoother after about 100 miles of driving. Not sure how it worked but my engines ran great...

One thing to remember is that Antimony if very effective at very low doses, so you cannot read that 23 of Antimony like you would moly, ZDDP, etc.

I use 4 ounces with every oil change and have for many years now. Does it help with anything, I honestly do not know. I did have a VOA done years ago on it, major comment from the lab was wow,. this stuff just thickens up tremendously when heated so as a viscocity improver it seems great.

A lot of guys here like to think out of the box and experiment. #132 has been mixed with LC 20 I believe and used with some pretty impressive results, others cut it with MMO and get some great results too. Maybe someone here knows exactly how #132 and LC 20 are mixed. My point is you won't find mixing two different mfg's products on any label, but it works very well as I recall.

I see it has 23ppm of antimony. There is a VOA of some Belray motorcycle oil on the VOA page that shows about 1500 ppm of this stuff.

Any thoughts of why so much in the MC oil?

Quote:
I read the VOA after buying some, it certainly doesn't look impressive, I bought it based on what I read here. We used it in my brothers boat the engine has a ton of hours on it and we wanted to see if it helped any. He also runs dino in the boat and wanted something to cling to the internals, since it sits sometimes for a few weeks in salt water. Seems like a glorified STP??????? I better hide. LOL

Honestly I'm not much of a believer in UOA or VOA, I've seen enough of them botched up. I would think the people at Schaffers know exactly what they're doing, and it is the combination of chemicals that makes the end product work its magic, I hope........

Yep, the base or carrier really distinguish's the product.

ON the MC oil, I have never heard of so much Sb in an oil. Most additive manf recommend between 25 to 250 ppm, depending on the application and the type of Antimony compound. I only hope they tested the formulation well.

Quote:
#132 has been mixed with LC 20 I believe and used with some pretty impressive results, others cut it with MMO and get some great results too. Maybe someone here knows exactly how #132 and LC 20 are mixed.

Yes, I found out some time ago that the two are very synergistic especially as it relates to AW and anti-oxidative effects. I believe we suggested something like 70% LC20 and 30% #132 by volume??

Mola

Last edited:
Molakule wrote

"recommend 1 to 2 ounces per quart.

For the LC/#132 brew, I made up a gallon and used 5-6 pints of #132 to 3-2 pints of LC.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD"

Can you fix your link discussing the LC/#132 brew?
I am interested and I can't get it to work.

I did a Google search and could only come up with references.

Thank you!

I bought a bunch of Moly EP years ago and was using Mola's Brew. I believe I was using 8 oz EP Moly and 4 oz. LC20 in my 4 quart Saturn sump during an oil change. Got away from using it when using Auto-RX and some heavier weight oils. Now I am using Monkeyman's Brew: One bottle Moly EP and 16 oz. of MMO. Need to use up the remaining Moly EP. Was concerned the MMO was going to thin the oil too much. Plus, the lowest grade I received in 16 years of education was in Chemistry. Car has never run better despite a smoking and oil consumption habit.

My brother mixed up a 50/50 mix of 132 and MMO for his boat, for the end of season storage OCI. He's got a lot of hours on that 70's Chevy 250 I-6, still runs great.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
#132 has been mixed with LC 20 I believe and used with some pretty impressive results, others cut it with MMO and get some great results too. Maybe someone here knows exactly how #132 and LC 20 are mixed.

Yes, I found out some time ago that the two are very synergistic especially as it relates to AW and anti-oxidative effects. I believe we suggested something like 70% LC20 and 30% #132 by volume??

Mola

Other way around. You and Terry suggested 70% 132 to 30% LC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back