Schaeffers 5w50 9000

Now would be the time to do your UOA after a given mileage… run it for whatever you “feel” was enough, pull a sample from the sump and have it tested for TBN… if it’s low, then change the oil. If it’s not low, continue running it.

A couple of things unless I’m too weird for you. First off if that is race oil then it may indeed be “fine” for use just like they say. But I’ll agree that a high TBN is not an objective of a race oil.

Secondly TBN depletion isn’t linear so predicting a termination mileage based on a VOA reading may not be accurate. It’s also highly dependent on the specific engine and operating conditions so unless you actually run it out you don’t really know what is going to happen. If your engine is not worn and creating large amounts of blow by then with today’s low-sulfur fuel TBN is relatively less important than it was in years past. Heavy short trips also would also be a factor.

I apologize for using UOA in my earlier posts since you did post a VOA. But I still stand by my technical comments.
No, I don't know what's going to happen but it just so happens I ended up with ten bottles each of the mobil and schaeffer due to an order error. I was told one wasn't available, so I ordered the other and then two cases of oil showed up the same day. So I sent in samples of both and plan on using both to see how they stacked up against each other before and after. So far the only thing with the Schaeffer's is it testing out almost four points lower than the advertised TBN.

No, I don't know what's going to happen but it just so happens I ended up with ten bottles each of the mobil and schaeffer due to an order error. I was told one wasn't available, so I ordered the other and then two cases of oil showed up the same day. So I sent in samples of both and plan on using both to see how they stacked up against each other before and after. So far the only thing with the Schaeffer's is it testing out almost four points lower than the advertised TBN.
I'd be very careful trusting the analysis without a retest or another TBN by a different lab. Also be certain they are using the same ASTM procedure.

I'd be very careful trusting the analysis without a retest or another TBN by a different lab. Also be certain they are using the same ASTM procedure.
Have a recommendation? I have two spare bottles of each with plenty left since the car holds nine.

I haven’t yet found a lab that tests to the virgin oil ASTM standard. All of the ones I know (TestOil, BlackStone, Napa) use the used oil testing method. Ryan at BlackStone said there are some differences that make it uneconomical for them to have the testing for both.

I’ve also read on here (dustyroads got the white paper from Chevron) that showed oils that use a high level of ashless detergents show a TBN 1.5-2 points lower than what we’re used to seeing.

Back