Gen 3 coyote Fram TG10575 10k kms

Filter was used for 266 hours which came to 10k kms putting me at 6% oil life remaining. Oil used was Castrol edge 5w50. The same filter went back on but this time with some Liqui Moly Molygen 5w50. This is on my 2018 Ford F150 5.0, it’s tuned with a mustang intake manifold. I use it as a daily and to tow on weekends. It regularly sees 7500 rpm so it’s not living an easy life. But from the looks of the filter I probably should extend my interval some. The oil was not even that dark.

Attachments

• IMG_6479.jpeg
    IMG_6479.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6480.jpeg
    IMG_6480.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6481.jpeg
    IMG_6481.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6482.jpeg
    IMG_6482.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6484.jpeg
    IMG_6484.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6485.jpeg
    IMG_6485.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6487.jpeg
    IMG_6487.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6479.jpeg
    IMG_6479.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 53
Date code says made the 132nd day of 2022.

This engine ever have the typewriter tick?

Hi Advocate,
A really great cut and post of the Tough Guard. 6,200 miles and the pleats are straight; impressive with the heavier weight oil you're running. Fiber end caps look good with no media separation or tears.
What months was the filter in service? Being in Canada, do it run over the winter season?

Thank you.

Date code says made the 132nd day of 2022.

This engine ever have the typewriter tick?
This has always had the typewriter tick since new. It does seem like the oil used has an influence on the sounds of the engine. But I know that it is not detrimental to the engine. Just annoying… which is why I wanted to try the molygen as some have said that it helps. Apparently not as good as ceratec. But I figured it’s worth a shot.

Hi Advocate,
A really great cut and post of the Tough Guard. 6,200 miles and the pleats are straight; impressive with the heavier weight oil you're running. Fiber end caps look good with no media separation or tears.
What months was the filter in service? Being in Canada, do it run over the winter season?

Thank you.
The filter was in use since March. So it didn’t see any winter duty. But this next one will. I changed to these instead of the Ultra filters when I noticed the wavy pleats. I have posted many cut filters though for this truck. Most of which have been used in the winter. We get to -40 here and I have not had any issues with ultras (other then the wavy pleats) or these tough guards. This is my first year using a 50 grade oil in the truck. I usually use a 40 grade year round. But the truck seems much more happy with vct operation on the 50 grades.

This has always had the typewriter tick since new. It does seem like the oil used has an influence on the sounds of the engine. But I know that it is not detrimental to the engine. Just annoying… which is why I wanted to try the molygen as some have said that it helps. Apparently not as good as ceratec. But I figured it’s worth a shot.
I've followed the typewriter tick for years, and it definitely seems to be aggravated by the friction level of the oil. That's why adding even as little as 1/2 bottle (150 ml) of Ceratec to 8-10 qts of oil almost instantly makes the ticking go away on most Coyotes. Ceratec is a friction modifier, just like the old Motorcraft XL-17 (not longer sold) was, which also made the tick disappear.

1695843645797.jpg

I've followed the typewriter tick for years, and it definitely seems to be aggravated by the friction level of the oil. That's why adding even as little as 1/2 bottle (150 ml) of Ceratec to 8-10 qts of oil almost instantly makes the ticking go away on most Coyotes. Ceratec is a friction modifier, just like the old Motorcraft XL-17 (not longer sold) was, which also made the tick disappear.

View attachment 180746
Thanks for the info. I haven’t seen that stuff in years. I’m going to try out this molygen oil and if it’s still going on then I’ll try some ceratec and maybe some less expensive oil. Though there doesn’t seem to be many choices for 50 grade oils…

That being said a friend of mine has a 2015 5.0 and it’s only ever seen bulk 5w20 from the dealer. Has almost 10k hours on it and 423k kms. It’s had the tick since new as well. So not really worried about it. But the noises these things make can be embarrassing at times…

Attachments

• IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 20
Back