Schaeffers 5w-40 in a 6.7 Powerstroke

Thank You everyone for all your input by the way.
I’ve got a lot to learn on analysis, so all knowledge is welcome.
I’m not a big “brand” guy so I’ll try just about anything. I was put on to Schaeffers quite sometime ago by a friend that has a trucking company and he had got me in touch with a Rep that has been great to deal with and up to this point I’ve “seemed” to have great luck with it. Going through a Rep, it hasn’t really been that much more expensive then the Rotellas, Delvacs, etc, not that I wouldn’t spend more if it is indeed a great oil for what we spend on these trucks. I’ve been reading up on this site quite a bit on the HPL stuff and it definitely seems worthy, just the little bit I looked on their website it did look spendy, and I don’t really put all that many miles on in a yr, would guess I average 5-8K a yr, so I may just go with Rotella, Delvac, Valvoline Blue, etc on my next change.

What have you guys that are running HPL 5w-40 paying a gallon? I’m pretty sure this last batch of Schaeffers was $34 a gallon through a rep. Wouldn’t mind sticking with a 5w-40 just for the sake of some extreme cold I could encounter in the winter if I did go ice fishing/snowmobiling, etc. Although this last winter, the truck did sit for probably 3-4 months, never did need it this winter so I just kept it outa the Salt. Is it possible that the cylinders could have gotten some surface rust in that time and contributed to the higher Iron ppm? Seems like some pretty poor corrosion protection if so, though?

I did recently have an analysis pulled on my Ford Escape I use as my every day work/go getter, I’ll post in the actual UOA section I missed last time, and see what you guys think of that one.

Thanks Again, look forward to visiting more frequently.

Thank You everyone for all your input by the way.
I’ve got a lot to learn on analysis, so all knowledge is welcome.
I’m not a big “brand” guy so I’ll try just about anything. I was put on to Schaeffers quite sometime ago by a friend that has a trucking company and he had got me in touch with a Rep that has been great to deal with and up to this point I’ve “seemed” to have great luck with it. Going through a Rep, it hasn’t really been that much more expensive then the Rotellas, Delvacs, etc, not that I wouldn’t spend more if it is indeed a great oil for what we spend on these trucks. I’ve been reading up on this site quite a bit on the HPL stuff and it definitely seems worthy, just the little bit I looked on their website it did look spendy, and I don’t really put all that many miles on in a yr, would guess I average 5-8K a yr, so I may just go with Rotella, Delvac, Valvoline Blue, etc on my next change.

What have you guys that are running HPL 5w-40 paying a gallon? I’m pretty sure this last batch of Schaeffers was $34 a gallon through a rep. Wouldn’t mind sticking with a 5w-40 just for the sake of some extreme cold I could encounter in the winter if I did go ice fishing/snowmobiling, etc. Although this last winter, the truck did sit for probably 3-4 months, never did need it this winter so I just kept it outa the Salt. Is it possible that the cylinders could have gotten some surface rust in that time and contributed to the higher Iron ppm? Seems like some pretty poor corrosion protection if so, though?

I did recently have an analysis pulled on my Ford Escape I use as my every day work/go getter, I’ll post in the actual UOA section I missed last time, and see what you guys think of that one.

Thanks Again, look forward to visiting more frequently.
HPL has three different offerings in HDEO, but one is specifically built for cold climate operations. The standard CK-4 HDEO can be had for $37.79 per gallon, plus shipping. However, that pricing is for four, 1 gallon jugs. The premium CK-4 comes out to roughly $42.72/gallon plus shipping when purchasing four, 1 gallon jugs.

You can look at it all, plus estimate shipping, at advlubrication.com. I won’t speak ill of Schaeffer’s, having used their products in the past, but HPL is tough to beat. There’s good evidence on here of how well this fluid has stood up over extreme use and long OCIs.

Another question I have for you guys, I noticed reading through the forums here that a guy attributed some higher Iron levels to an additive he was running in his fuel, do you happen to know what additives have been mentioned that might contain Iron? I’ve ran a lot of Schaeffers Carbon Treat and Hot Shots Secret EDT, thinking I was doing a good deed for my truck. Just curious? I think I’ll stop for this oil change and see on my next sample if anything changes.

I use hot shots EDT and LX4 every fill up, and no issues with mine

I use hot shots EDT and LX4 every fill up, and no issues with mine
Good to know, maybe I’ll just stop the Schaeffers Carbon Treat/Diesel Treat for a while then and keep using the EDT.

@Wbyman22 you can't go off 1 UOA, you need a couple to form a pattern.

FWIW, I had the same issues with my Cummins on Mobil ESP 5w40 though. It sheared and my wear metals were elevated. I switched to Mobil Delvac 15w40 and it brought them closer in. Not sure if the motor was wearing in, or if the oil made a difference. The shearing stopped with the 15w4 though. My rule of thumb is don't drive my truck if it is below 5F during the day. It is a garage kept vehicle so mornings aren't the issue, it is the day time. When I am done with my current load of Mystik JT8 15w40, I might give Mystik 10w40 a try to see if that does any better.

Just my $0.02

just a thought,i know a guy with a power stroke engine like yours ,he uses Cenex enviro-edge Maxtron ,5w-40 with stellar results.,has a 4.0 hths ,ccs 5930 @-30,,working well for him,,,,,lives in central wis.
Thank you, this might just be what I try next. I’ve pondered using Cenex oils for quite sometime but have been basically using Schaeffers in everything. May just give this a try. I see it is also on Fords “appproved” list for the 6.7L Powerstroke.

you maybe pleasantly impressed with Cenex oils,check on their web site where to buy,just got some pcmo for my inventory,,interestingly they make their own lubricants,as refining,though additives are from other manufactures,,,,

Back