Schaeffers 5w-40 in a 6.7 Powerstroke

Hello All,
Just recently changed oil on my 17’ 6.7L Powerstroke, had 5,200 mi on oil, approx 56,000mi on truck. I would honestly say 85-90% of the 5,200 miles are towing a 5th Wheel Camper around, curious on what you think of the Analysis results? Iron seems a little high compared to the gassers I’ve tested, but Schaeffer says normal? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_8854.jpeg
IMG_8855.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just letting you know that there is a Used Diesel Oil Analysis Forum.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/forums/used-oil-analysis-diesel.25/

The wear is on the higher side but is understandable with most of those miles towing a 5th wheel RV. We don't know if this will get better or worse until you can analyze the oil further. Can I assume you have an F250, what is the Gross Combined Weight, & do you travel in the mountains?

It is a F-250 CC 4wd and my camper weighs about 9,500lbs empty so guessing you could figure probably somewhere around 11,000 loaded and heading down the road. Not a lot of crazy hills around WI, but I was in South Dakota/Blackhills last summer with it for a while towing the camper and I know the day we left it was 108 degrees heading out and bombing down I90, but all of that was only a 10 day period.

I live in WI so I really like to have the 5w in there for the cold Winter, I don’t drive it a lot in the Winter but usually head North Snowmobiling or Ice Fishing a couple times a yr where it’s really nothing to see -20 or colder and really like having that 5w in there.

Ford actually calls for a 10w-30 for all around general use, so I don’t think it’s a huge deal that the Viscosity broke down a little, maybe I’m wrong though?

I would assume that the glow plus system on a 17' would be good enough for synthetic 15w-40 but I'm sure Wisc. can get a bit cold. Do you plug it in? A 5w-40 is a great choice but it's a bit more prone to viscosity break down vs a 15w-40. I think the visc drop is fine for the mileage you're changing it at but it is lower for a 40 visc oil.

Although there are plenty of 30 weight fans. If I'm not mistaken I think Ford calls for a 40 for towing so I would skip the 10w-30 as you're using this beast for more than "General use". 11k+8k so you're around 19k GCWR. You're around almost to 60k so break-in wear should be subsiding but perhaps it's not there yet.

We just can't state one way or the other yet until you can perform a few more Oil Tests to see. This one test is limited but useful however. Keep doing what you're doing & retest. If you'd like to get a viscosity bump then go to 15w oil. Rotella T6 or the like.

This is my 2c

I've never been a cool ade drinker, but if anyone was looking for an excuse not to use Schaeffer's 5w40, the above uoa should be reason enough.

I've never been a cool ade drinker, but if anyone was looking for an excuse not to use Schaeffer's 5w40, the above uoa should be reason enough.
That bad huh?
I’ll run this oil change out to 5,000 again and test again. But if that Irons up that high again I’ll probably try something else. This is my first Diesel in a little while, but all my gas engine vehicles I’ve sampled have looked real good using Schaeffers 9000 5w-30’s and 5w-20’s with 8,000 - 10,000mi changes, my last diesel was a 02’ Ford with a 7.3 that I ran Schaeffers 5w-40 in also of whatever formulation they had back then, but I’m pretty sure the results of those UOA’s were real good, the 7.3 might have been that much easier on oil though and I didn’t do near the towing I do now.🤷🏼‍♂️

That bad huh?
I’ll run this oil change out to 5,000 again and test again. But if that Irons up that high again I’ll probably try something else. This is my first Diesel in a little while, but all my gas engine vehicles I’ve sampled have looked real good using Schaeffers 9000 5w-30’s and 5w-20’s with 8,000 - 10,000mi changes, my last diesel was a 02’ Ford with a 7.3 that I ran Schaeffers 5w-40 in also of whatever formulation they had back then, but I’m pretty sure the results of those UOA’s were real good, the 7.3 might have been that much easier on oil though and I didn’t do near the towing I do now.🤷🏼‍♂️
Performing the same experiment and expecting a different result is.......?

I don't like the iron being that high. It sheared out of grade. Looking at the spec sheet, it has 10.7% Noack which is rather pathetic for a boutique 5W-40. The shear loss in D7109 is 10% which is also rather pathetic for a boutique 5W-40 and reflects the viscosity loss seen here. By comparison, M1 FS Euro 0W-40 sheared 6% in a much more abusive version of D7109 in KRL and you can pick that up off the Walmart shelf. I don't see what you're getting for the price that you're paying.

The 15W-40 actually looks worse than the 5W-40 per the spec sheet. Noack is still stupid high at 10% and D7109 is still 10% loss, same as the 5W-40. It produced over 20 mg of deposits in Teost which isn't that great. It seems they formulate it with the cheapest, weakest group III base oil they could get with a high SSI OCP.

You could get High Performance Lubricants CK-4 HDMO 5W-40, a much better quality oil, for the same price.

Last edited:
What oil filter was used?

What previous oils were used?

How old is the air filter? what air filter brand/pn?

Any tunes or mods?
I’ve been using the Ford Motorcraft filter. I bought the truck with 20,000mi on it, so no idea what was used in it then, but after I bought it, I had gotten a couple free oil changes from the Ford Dealer I bought it from so naturally I took them up on those and they used the 10w-30 Motorcraft Diesel oil and now the last like 3 oil changes have been with the Schaeffers 5w-40. It’s been quite a few yrs since I’ve done much for Oil Analysis but will stay on it now, would like to have some history to go with this one, but oh well.
The air filter is a motorcraft filter as well, have not changed it since I’ve owned it so could very well be original, but looks great everytime I’ve looked at it and hasn’t moved the restriction gauge even slightly. Fuel Filters have been changed a couple of times.
Truck is also bone stock, no performance upgrades of any kind.

Your iron and aluminum IMO high for the miles even with the usage. I tow a similar size trailer and have multiple generators and other equipment in the back of the truck on top of towing and mine is much lower even with almost 8% fuel in it and with twice the mileage. How many hours on this sample?Added UOA for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_7829.jpg
    IMG_7829.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 38
just a thought,i know a guy with a power stroke engine like yours ,he uses Cenex enviro-edge Maxtron ,5w-40 with stellar results.,has a 4.0 hths ,ccs 5930 @-30,,working well for him,,,,,lives in central wis.

Your iron and aluminum IMO high for the miles even with the usage. I tow a similar size trailer and have multiple generators and other equipment in the back of the truck on top of towing and mine is much lower even with almost 8% fuel in it and with twice the mileage. How many hours on this sample?Added UOA for reference.
I was thinking the same. A 54 mph average would be 100 hrs. That would mean in a 24/7 industrial application, the oil would have to be changed every 4 days.

Back