Schaeffer's 5w-30, 2002 VW Passat 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.

twb

Here are the first two oil analyses for my 2002 VW Passat, with a 1.8L turbo. This is a zippy little engine, and while we definitely don't beat on it, both my wife and I like to stick our
foot (feet?) into it when we can. The miles are almost exclusively highway miles. A Purolator Pure One was used for both cases. In both cases, Schaeffer's Sumpreme 7000, 5w-30 was used.

The 0 to 4830 miles were on the factory oil.The lab work was done by Oil Analyzers, Inc., and I had qualitative analysis done by Dyson Analysis. None of Terry's words appear here, but I'll be glad to share them if any follow up posts go in that direction.

By the way, the "ideal" oil for this engine; according to VW, is 5w-40. I am currently running Schaeffer's 15w-40, we'll see what happens.

The first numbers are for miles 4830 through
9830, the second numbers are for miles 9830
through 15500. I was trying to keep real close to
VW's 5000 mile oil change interval. Life got in
the way a little on that last oil change.

code:

vis. 100c 9.8 10.2

%oxd. 23.3 22.2

%nox 21.4 20.0

TBN 7.6 7.3

iron 19 8

chromium 1 0

lead 4 0

copper 8 0

tin 1 0

aluminum 9 4

nickel 1 0

silver 0 0

mangenese 2 3

silicon 14 10

boron 37 34

sodium 138 106

magnesium 343 337

calcium 1489 1419

barium 0 0

phosphorous 991 963

zinc 1296 1219

molybdenum 79 0 (lab screw up)

titanium 0 0

vanadium 0 0

cadmium 0 0

How the heck can I make nice columns actually come out in a post? It looks like extra whitespace gets reduced, whether it's TABs or spaces. The format above looks awful, not like the
nice columns I had typed originally.

[ June 14, 2002, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

TWB,

I appreciate your trended report. This is showing how the moly has begun to take effect in the second oil change.

This is why I advise my clients to use normal oil changes on the first go around as it has to take over from the old oil by cleaning any byproducts left over, which tends to deplete on it's detergent additives and the moly will start plating up thus reducing it as well.

Once all that has happened, it will then just sustain the cleaning and maintain the plating done by the previous oil thus the wear #'s will start to reduce and the additive levels will level out, allowing to start extending oil drains.

[ June 14, 2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Thanks MPH, I see that worked well.

Still new to this program so I along with others are having to learn it as I go along.
worshippy.gif

twb - I would really like to see what Terry had to say about your analysis if it is not too much trouble. The numbers really look good. Thanks much.

offtopic.gif

Hey Tom,

I bought my Impala from a man in FT Collins. Flew up there saturday morning. Drove it from there to Houston saturday and sunday.

To Tom B: Here is Terry's email to ne regarding the most recent analysis. I will say that, prior to this email, we exchanged a couple of emails regarding the Moly value. It made me wonder if this was really my sample. Terry seemed to feel it was just the moly that got misreported.

quote:

Tom the results are VERY low in wear. Since you have the hard copy to
reference as we go along I will not comment on each item unless you have a
question.

I already asked about the( unknown) oil mileage and will guess based on your
plan for 5000 mile intervals that is 5670 miles.

Glycol through solids excellent !

Oxd and Nox good.

TBN retention still wonderful.

Iron through Silicon are the lowest #'s I have seen on this
engine,especially turbocharged. Mn rise of 1ppm is not relevant. I rarely
see any engine with this low of wear values. I don't expect to see lower
Silicon levels than this.

Add package; Boron through Moly are signature of 7000 blend except for moly
being 0, that's probably really closer to 100 ppm. The wear values tell the
story. The phosphorus is being depleted by an extra 100 ppm fighting
oxidation from the turbo heat. You do tromp on it periodically don't you?
wink.gif

Except that our old lab made some mistakes this is a wonderful result.
Cost vs. benefit is good on this product. We could probably drop the
oxidation a little with a full synthetic but then we'd have to find one. You
might experiment with the 7000 10w-30 to see if it would help but we are
splitting hairs. If you are happy with these results I sure am. If I can
come up with a better oil for your VW I'll let you know.

Sincerely, Terry

Dyson Analysis

Oh, as a side note. Even though I have a K&N filter in my truck, and now one in this VW, I've had some reservations about them. The silicon level here, combined with the values on my truck, leave feeling really confident in K&N filters. Now if I can only justify exhaust improvements to both vehicles to make better use of the K&N...
wink.gif

tbw - Thanks muck for posting Terry's reply. Certainly sounds like Terry was impressed. I just sent a sample off to him on my 2001 Subaru Outback with the 3.0 litre six. I am using the 5w-30 Schaeffer's 7000 blend. Am really interested to see how it is doing. This is my first analysis on the oil. I am using a K&N air filter and have for years with good luck. Again, thanks for the post.

I had always been under the impression that the K&N air filters allowed in more dirt, but I'm glad to hear that is not the case. One of the upcoming modifications for my car will be a cold air induction kit, and all of these kits utilize a cone shaped filter like the K&N, or similar oil wetted cotton gauze style. I was worried about sacrificing some engine wear in order to achieve the 10hp increase these kits produce. It's nice to see I can have my cake and eat it too!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back