Schaeffers 15w40 now have a 12 TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
the #700 Supreme 700 and #151 Moly Bond x-200 15w40 TBN has recently been upgraded from 10TBN to 12TBN. This upgrade will result in increased protection against any acids that are formed by the combustion of the diesel fuel or by the EGR system found on the new 2003 low emission engines. Though the TBN of these oil have increased, this increase does not affect the engine oil. Both of these engine oils use an all calcium based detergent additive package that not only effectively neutralizes any acidic components that may be formed but also provides excellent TBN retention over the engine oil's drain interval.

Most heavy duty diesel engine oils contain either high magnesium based or a calcium/magnesium based detergent/dispersant additive system. Magnesium based detergent systems, though they will neutralize acids as they are formed, do not have the same effective acid neutralizing capabilities as an all calcium based additive system. Magnesium based detergent additive systems do not neutralize any of the weak acids that may have been formed by the combustion of the diesel fuel. These weak acids over time can build up in the engine oil eventually causing the engine oil to rapidly lose its TBN retention.

Magnesium based detergents are primarily used in the formulation of passenger car engine oil formulations because of their ability to allow these engine oils to pass the various engine sequence tests used to measure wear protection. However, in heavy duty diesel engine oils magnesium based detergents can cause higher wear in the ring belt area of a diesel engine. Magnesium based detergents form Magnesium Oxides when they neutralize acids, a by product of the acid neutralization reaction. Magnesium oxide is very hard in consistency and can abrade and polish cylinder walls.

Calcium based detergents on the other hand form calcium sulfates when they neutralize acids. Calcium Sulfate is very soft and fluffy in consistency and is soluble in oil. Calcium based detergents in addition have been found to enhance a diesel engine oil's ability to provide excellent high temperature piston cleanliness, provide excellent protection against bore polishing and enhance the soot handling capabilities of the engine oil.

Bob, I have been using Petro Canada Duron in my Cummins Dodge for several years with excellant results. UOA have been great with this oil and I love the cold flow characteristics. The problem is I have moved and my source of cheap duron is no longer conveniant. Thus I am looking for a new HDMO. I would like a a oil that will crank easily on frigid morning. I live in Mi upper peninsula BTW so cold is definantly a issue and I am not talking 20's or 30's. More like single digits and lower. Does Schaeffers make a 15w40 semi syn or a 5w40 oil that will fill the bill?

The specs look good, but is a 15/40 syn blend going to cut it in the winter. I dont plug in and the truck is parked outside.

quote:

the #700 Supreme 700 and #151 Moly Bond x-200 15w40 TBN has recently been upgraded from 10TBN to 12TBN.

Nice. I might have to try some Schaeffer's sometime. Good stuff.

Blano, Schaeffer's 15W-40 Pao Blend has an extremely good cold weather ability for that viscosity of an oil. It's cold cranking numbers are sooo low that it could actually meet the criteria for a 10W-40 but they still label it an 15W-40. It will still pump at -25 degrees. Since it's CCA is equal to a 10W oil that is how it should perform.

Bob. How will this affect its use in gas engines? I'm currently using this in my Jeep 4.0. Give us you thoughts. Thanks.

Darren

Bob, when did they make the switch? Any idea if the stuff I ordered this past spring was the old or new type?
confused.gif

Either way, I'm sure it's good oil.
wink.gif

I use this oil in a vast majority of my lawn & garden equipment in a large part because of its corrosion fighting ability. A lot of my equipment sits for months at a time during the off-seasons and some thing like our portable generators sit for years at a time with brief test-runs (15-20 minutes) only once or twice each year.

--- Bror Jace

The specs for the Schaeffer's motor oil #700 and #151 15W-40 are impressive. I really like the fact that it has the ability to qualify as a 10W-40 oil. In my opinion this makes this oil suitable for a much greater number of vehicles than a regular 15W-40 motor oil. The results from several used oil analysis have been quit impressive.

The stuff ends up being $3 per quart as long as you can put together a $250+ order. It comes in cases of 12 quarts and 30 gallon drums but no single gallon containers.
dunno.gif

That's too bad. I'd like to see more products come in 4 or 5 quart jugs. They are very handy for a number of reasons.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back