Schaeffer's 132 supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I am interested in using this in my truck (98 chevy ZR2 4.3L v6), which tends to sit for about a week at a time in between long drives. I want to use it for the moly addition as well as the antimony, to combat any possible rust or moisture issues. I do always gett he oil up to full temperature (I assume it is because I drive the truck over 15-20 miles continuous whenever it is used).
The first problem is that I worry about mixing it into my oils. Schaeffer's 5w-30s dont appear to have the newest specs(they all seem to be GF-2), and I want an SL rated, GF-3 oil. I currently have a good supply of Castrol GTX, which suits the bill, but I have to wonder if the mixing of two schaeffers products would be better than a castrol and schaeffers.
I usually dont go 3000 miles in 3 months, but because it is sitting a lot, I usually change it that way for peace of mind. I wouldnt mind extending the drain, because the oil is most likely fine after 3 months.
My ideas are as follows:
-use castrol GTX 5w-30, with the 132 additive
-use half GTX 5w-30, half castrol german synthetic 0w-30 and 132 additive
-use M1 0w-40, no other additives
-use delvac 1 5w-40 no other additives

What would be best? I worry about mixing too many things, even by the same mqanufacturer and getting an additiver clash and low TBN number. I also worry about using a 40wt oil, as they seem to rob me of a bit of power. I do like the extended drain specs of the m1 0w-40, but then again, it is a 40 wt, and Im not sure how good it will be extending the drain time with lots of sitting in between anyhow.

The key is to keep my engine as clean and new as possible for a long time, as I intend to keep this truck for a long time.
Thanks for your help,

JMH

[ May 21, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

I have no answer for you (I think the Schaeffers is SL but web site not updated) but I do have another question on the #132

After many years on the same engine I know how much oil to add with a given level on the dipstick. So this last time I added the 6 ounces of the #132 in lieu of oil. My perception (perception only) is that the the #132 must adhere to the internal engine components and not drip down to the oil pan as normal oil would. Why, because the level on the dipstick only moved about half as much as it should have. It should have read full but it reads as if I added only about half the amount of the additive. Now, we are only speaking about 6 ounces here, not a quart etc. so is it feasible for say 2-3 ounces of the additive to remain/adhered to the upper components and not drip down thus causing a lower dipstick reading.? Or is it my imagination?

I just checked the Schaeffer's 10W30 that I have and it is rated SL. Sorry I don't have any 5W30 to check.

Schaeffer Oils definitely are now all SL rated stuff. Back in September when I bought my first case of their 10w30 it was SL, and they had been selling it a while at that point. I just ordered two cases of 5w30 blend, and it's SL as well. I don't even think they have SJ stuff left by now. (not that there was anything wrong with the old formulation)

quote:

so is it feasible for say 2-3 ounces of the additive to remain/adhered to the upper components and not drip down thus causing a lower dipstick reading.? Or is it my imagination?

I really don't think so. When this stuff heats up, it readily mixes with the oil, and since you only added 6 oz., I doubt the oil is clinging to the head.

I do advise mixing the 132 with warm oil before adding to the engine. It just make it easier to pour.

Spector,

If you have a hot day, say over 85 F, then set it out in the sun.

I prefer to heat a pan of water to about 95-100 F, take it off the stove, and then soak the bottle of 132, with the seal broken and the lid not tightened.

A La 132 with your spaghetti anyone?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back