scan tool question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 2001 Jeep in because the radiator fan did not come on. They "sent" a code (via their scan tool )to the Jeep to turn on the radiator fan which allowed them to test the relay and fan. This is just an example, I am sure they are things one can test in this manner. So what function would this be on a scan tool and which scan tools offer it?

Do one ones from HF support this function?

yea, most of the "over the counter" ODB2 scanners simply let you "read" the codes.....and maybe "reset" the codes....you're looking at least $200+ for a scanner that will let you "push" codes through the ODB2 sensor....

No hand held scan tools support this function,,like someone else said,,,you will either need a Snap-On "Versus",,Verdict,,,or one of the older ones,,,or,,you will have to have access to a Chrysler "Star-Scan",,or the older DRB scan tool,,,and then,,,you will also have to have access to a Chrysler website to access some of those functions.I retired from working at a Dodge dealership,but I still have friends that are active in this,,and Dodge had done it's level best at keeping anyone other than a certified technician from accessing anything,,,and if I'm not mistaken,,so has GM,Ford<and all the rest.Try and find someone that can get their hands on one of these scan tools so you don't have to buy one,,,they are handy to have,,but really expensive and again,,like someone else said,,,you have to constantly update your software.

hmmmm.....I guess the extra $$ does get one something. So basically all the hand held scanners are for shade tree mechanics? Since a good shop would spend the $$ on a fancy scanner if it would help them in their business.

So how to explain this review (the start of it) of the most expensive HF OBDII scanner:

I've been repairing autos & light trucks for years. I've use 3 different scanners and I would place this one at the top! An amateur can use it right out of the box, but without a reasonable knowledge of diagnostic procedures he will find it acceptable at best. However, a professional who has a thorough knowledge of diagnostic procedures or an amateur who has access to a book on OBDII procedures & DVOM/scope (graph) results it becomes a powerful tool. I would recommend that every user obtain a book on OBDII diagnostic procedures and learn how to use it.

You want "bidirectional".

There's a pretty big price jump between generic OBDII sensor data and anything proprietary like READING ABS or airbag, then another big price jump to ACTIVATING antilock brakes (like for bleeding them) or other computer outputs.

Originally Posted By: George7941
If you are willing to spend around $450, and use a laptop, you can buy the Autoenginuity tool with the enhanced Chrysler package
http://autoenginuity.com/

It offers lots of bidirectional controls.

I have a Palm version from autoenginuity, but they dead-ended that several years ago.

Autoenginuity has improved tremendously in recent years, so you might be pleasantly surprised if you compare the latest version to the old version you have. If you go to their website you can get a list of the bidirectional controls supported by the enhanced Chrysler package.

Maybe they will give you some credit for the old version which you have.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I took my 2001 Jeep in because the radiator fan did not come on. So what function would this be on a scan tool and which scan tools offer it?

That's called bidirectional control. Your higher end scan tools will have this
feature to control engine RPM as well as anything that's solenoid operated.

I may have paid a lot for my GM Tech2 but the return on that investment has been tremendous. I can't remember how many reprograms I've done just for people who get bigger wheels and tires! Bi-directional control is a must for serious and accurate diagnoses and no "code reader" can meet that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back