Scalp Wheels for Zero Turn Mower

WRT

I own a Snapper S200XT Zero Turn Mower. My problem, I set the blades up high, 3 1/4 inches, and the scalp wheels are then way too high off of the ground. There is no way to adjust them lower. Should I purchase larger wheels? They would be too large for the two middle wheels since they are close to the front of the deck, or is there a way to add a bracket that would allow me to move the wheels up or down as needed? I do not understand why there is not a way to adjust them. Thanks!!!

Sounds like you're doing everything perfectly.

Like most residential grade cutting decks, they're designed to hang from the machine and not touch the ground. Any wheels on the deck are designed to just touch over any high and uneven spots.

I couldn't tell you how many machines I've seen and worked on, where the owners insist on mashing the deck all the way to the ground, resting on the wheels. This not only trashes the deck, but all the deck hanging hardware and the machine.

Thanks for your replies. I do realize that the wheels are not to touch the ground unless the deck gets too close to the ground because the ground is uneven. Everything I have read is that the ideal height for the scalp wheels to be off of the ground is 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Some even set their wheels at 1/8 inch. That way, if the deck lowers due to an uneven surface, the scalp wheels will hold it up to keep the cut even and closer to the 3 1/4 inch height I have it set at. The wheels hold the deck higher over rough or hilly terrain when the blades would otherwise drop down too low to the dirt. With the wheels so high off of the ground, the deck cuts close to the ground over uneven surfaces because the scalp wheels are set so high--almost as high as the deck. What good is that?

Thanks for your replies. I do realize that the wheels are not to touch the ground unless the deck gets too close to the ground because the ground is uneven. Everything I have read is that the ideal height for the scalp wheels to be off of the ground is 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Some even set their wheels at 1/8 inch. That way, if the deck lowers due to an uneven surface, the scalp wheels will hold it up to keep the cut even and closer to the 3 1/4 inch height I have it set at. The wheels hold the deck higher over rough or hilly terrain when the blades would otherwise drop down too low to the dirt. With the wheels so high off of the ground, the deck cuts close to the ground over uneven surfaces because the scalp wheels are set so high--almost as high as the deck. What good is that?
Its operating as designed. I get that if you knew that maybe you would have purchased a different product.

Many zero turns have very limited adjustment due to how the deck is hung from the frame.
I have seen some with 2 bolt holes but your no adjustment design is common.

My deere 316 has the type of wheels where you can raise or lower them with bolt holes (not infinite adjustment 3-4 levels)
I try to keep them about 1/2" to 1" above the yard.. because its bumpy and small slope. If its too close they just roll all the time.

Although I'm pretty sure your new zero turn keeps the deck in place(height/angle etc) better than my 40 year old Deere.

You'd need a lawn as smooth as a putting green for 1/2" to 1/8" to work. Even with that you'd have at least one anti-scalp hitting the ground at all times.

You can set them up that way, but it's going to be at the expense of deck/equipment life.

I don’t think you have an issue. I believe the manual for mine wants the wheels 3/4” above the ground. The deck basically hangs freely until the wheels are needed.

You're correcr. For example, my Deere is fully adjustable. That's unfortunate. Sometimes there are at least multiple bolt holes ...

Sounds like the wheels are set to just barely keep the blades out of the dirt. Better than no scalp wheels but adjustable ones would be preferable. Nothing wrong with yours.

Back