Riding vs Zero Turn mower

ZTRs are notoriously bad about mowing across hills because of the swivel front wheels. IMO you are better off with a rider.
I was looking at Zero turn mowers last fall.
I actually had a deal on a Country Clipper mower 52 inch Edge XLT, but the deal fell through with the dealer.
It was more mower than I really needed anyway, but I was looking for a single hand steering option with the single joystick design.
I ended up going with a CubCadet Z-Force SX54 zer turn, & it was about $4500 less after taxes out the door.
Both models that I priced were equipped with the same Kawasaki engine, a 24 HP FR730V.

It is the model with the steering wheel. Still handles & turns like a zero turn, but a more solid connection with the front steering tires.
Seems to work well, but still cuts a bit uneven on extreme rolling ground and over or across dips.

It was a new old stock model from the previous year, and was replaced by the Ultima ZTS.

A good rider. A zero tun the rear wheels will slip and you will slid sideways
The weight distribution is a little different than a rider, sure.
It takes some practice and getting used to, but sliding sideways - where? on an incline?
Its center of gravity will be lower, so overall more manageable and safer in my opinion. Better to slide than tip over.

A rider I believe is safer on hills. Any incline and a zero turn will slide. Unless its a 70" deck or bigger.
I would get at least a 54" rider. It most situations I dont think it will tip over.

"Any incline and a zero turn will slide"

What? I mow my septic mound with my ZT and no issues. Where does some of this stuff come from?

Low CG ZT and decent tires will be fine on hills, and a high CG riding mower extremely dangerous side mowing.

Be careful on either!!

The weight distribution is a little different than a rider, sure.
It takes some practice and getting used to, but sliding sideways - where? on an incline?
Its center of gravity will be lower, so overall more manageable and safer in my opinion. Better to slide than tip over.
I should have read your post first. Exactly.

FYI I have big, wide. high traction tires. I would borrow a zero turn and rider and try both before buying
It must come down to turf. If there is slimy mud under some wet turf, it's going to be super slick, no doubt about that.

I agree try it, PLUS talk to people.

ZT's are interesting for sure. My neighbor down slope (on the flat) drives his so slowly and is very scared of the thing. He doesn't even drive it in his storage garage, pushes it manually. Doesn't whip around posts, trees, etc. He bought it because his wife could no longer steer the "armstrong" tractor style rider. I'm hoping he gets the hang of it this next season. Kind of torture to watch the guy when I walk by his place.

Back