Saying Goodbye to our Vanity Tags

It is $50/year in Ohio.
Other than the initial year that they cut the plate, it is nothing but a cash grab.
I have one on the Mustang, but if they raise the rate, it's gone.

We've worked long and hard just to get these vanity tags for the van and although we can't show you what the tags said.. it's a big disappointment that Maryland has increased the fees on these tags. 2 years ago it cost us 70.00 ever 2 years.. this year, it's jumped to 300.00 So this means the vanity tags are coming off which will save us nearly 200.00 every 2 years..
You sure would not like the cost of standard plates in California.

Wow, I thought it was $50 once here in NJ. May be wrong.
It still is the same price for the initial issue. Battleship plates, conquer cancer and the other ones similar have and additional $15 added to the reg. fee as a contribution to its charity. I've had a personalized one since the days of the blue plates.
$58 for motorcycle registration really frosts me as most cars are $68.

It still is the same price for the initial issue. Battleship plates, conquer cancer and the other ones similar have and additional $15 added to the reg. fee as a contribution to its charity. I've had a personalized one since the days of the blue plates.
$58 for motorcycle registration really frosts me as most cars are $68.
I think I pay $41.50 for cars, maybe a bit more for the van. The trucks are what costs $$$

We've taken tomorrow off to check with three other insurance companies. Plates and insurance hit us all at the same time at the wrong time.

We've taken tomorrow off to check with three other insurance companies. Plates and insurance hit us all at the same time at the wrong time.
Sorry for the off topic - however I shopped many - Geico, Progressive, Farmers and All state all did on line quotes. If your a Costco member they will do a quote via American Family - its called "Connect". Never had to call anyone. I did use an independent agent as well to shop others.

My favorite vanity plate I had was I FND TI. I find titanium. I am a geologist who explores for...titanium. Guys at the mine I worked at though it was pretty cool.
I thought you were saying "I Found It" but were being ironic/dyslexic by mis-spelling "It". Shows you how a vanity plate can be misunderstood.

Cheap here in VA, about $10 a year and why so many have them.
Maybe that’s why so many Dead Head plates were traditionally from VA (and Cali).

To peoples’ point. Off the top of my head I remember THE JGB, GROOVN, and DED HED. So what if I remembered these plates from 1987 and I see the vehicle on the road? I’ll rage against them? Huh? SHP FOLS is another from VA.

Costs me $39.50 to re new in New Jersey. Pay more for a “vanity plate” or to tell the guy who’s tailgating me that I donated to “ I brake for chipmunks.” No thanks.

Progressive was signaficantly cheaper than USAA for my fleet of 5/2 teen drivers but there were caveats....pay full year up front AND same with homeowners to bundle. USAA has been v. good for a long time for me but they aren't as competitive as they were. I've called and spoken to them about it...as in "I mean you aren't even close to XYZ company...not even close." which was met with "yep". I pay more than I can believe to insure our 5 with good records and long history.

Progressive was signaficantly cheaper than USAA for my fleet of 5/2 teen drivers but there were caveats....pay full year up front AND same with homeowners to bundle. USAA has been v. good for a long time for me but they aren't as competitive as they were. I've called and spoken to them about it...as in "I mean you aren't even close to XYZ company...not even close." which was met with "yep". I pay more than I can believe to insure our 5 with good records and long history.
I too left USAA for Progressive (for auto). I also dropped USAA for homeowners as well.

Last edited:
Costs me $39.50 to re new in New Jersey. Pay more for a “vanity plate” or to tell the guy who’s tailgating me that I donated to “ I brake for chipmunks.” No thanks.
I kinda wish PA had a Chipettes license plate. Alvin gets way too much attention.

I too left USAA for Progressive (for auto). I also dropped USAA for homeowners as well.
At some point this will save me several thousand a year - I just worry about Progressive's customer service.

Back