Saying goodbye to my Contitraks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I always thought OEM tires usually wore out @ 30K; not so with my B2300. Just replaced my Contitraks on the front of my truck with Cooper Cobra GT radials and I couldn't be happier.

Contitraks were horribly noisy and unfortunately wore like iron, having about 10K of tread left even though there was 71K on the tires. A cursory inspection revealed cracking on the sidewall close to the seal; cracks also in numerous other places. Six, maybe seven, years on a tire is a lot; no sense buying long tread life tires if they are just going to dryrot off the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Contis suck

Yea because they make one model of tire and your friend told you so..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Contis suck

Yea because they make one model of tire and your friend told you so..

Ok......i will play your silly game.they suck because I had them on my 05 dodge ram 4x4. They came on the truck when I bought it used. Traction in snow was absolutely atrocious, dangerous at times. They were fine on non wintertime roads and on the road. Offroad they were also atrocious, but that was to be expected. I replaced them with bfg a/ts and never looked back.

I love Conti DWS tires...

They suck:? I don't think so.

TR2.png

The BFG AT KOs on my Truck (in 31x10.5 R15) are great...particularly off road (good compromise between street and 4 wheeling)

The Conti DWS (in 234/45R17) on my Volvo have been great - excellent grip in all weather conditions, good wear, nice ride.

The Conti Contacts on the Corolla have been great - good grip, long wear, nice ride, low noise.

One model, in one size, in one experience is not a sufficient sample size to say, "all products of this manufacturer are inferior" which is what I believe you were trying to convey with "contis suck"....

I have no experience with contitracks...but 71K with wear left on the tires? Not many tires would last that long. I have yet to have any truck tire make it that long on my truck, including Bridgestone, Nokian, and BFG...

Whatever man. My opinion. If you don't like it, I encourage you to fill out a report in triplicate and file it with the "I don't care what you think" department.

OEM tires usually are round and rubber. Anything beyond that, like traction or decent treadwear, is a bonus.

We've had good experiences with the Conti DWS's on our Fit. I'd consider a Continental grand-touring tire for the Cruze based on our experiences with the DWS's.

Whatever man. My opinion. If you don't like it, I encourage you to fill out a report in triplicate and file it with the "I don't care what you think" department.

so based on using one set of oem conti's you are saying they all suck?

you dont see the point? I fully believe the tires you did have were terrible.. but oem tires is only a small part of the tires they have available.

Therefor, I think its ignorant to say they are all bad from your one experience with oem tires which I've said many times are below average to terrible.

and file that with your rudeness in your round file.

Continental ContiTrac were the worst tires I've ever driven on. Ford used to use them as OE on Escapes/Mariners. I replaced them at 900 mi because they were so bad. Even my wife commented on how bad they were (and she typically only cares if they are round). They were known as ContiCr@ps on the Escape forum back in the day.

That doesn't mean all Continental tires are horrible. They are just like every brand: some good, some bad, some I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Last edited:
The OE Contis Chrysler put on many Hemi LX cars (225/60R18) were abysmal...they had decent traction, but the glaring fault of often being bald in 10-12,000 miles!

The Michelin Energy MXV4 tires that came OEM on our '99 Accord were quite unimpressive.
After taking a really exciting slide in the rain after only 48K with plenty of tread left, I replaced the tires.
Therefore, all Michelin tires are awful.
My point is that some Contis probably are awful, as are some Michelins.
Some Contis are very good, as are most Michelins.
It's all a matter of the research you do before buying tires.

Originally Posted By: Rand

so based on using one set of oem conti's you are saying they all suck?

you dont see the point? I fully believe the tires you did have were terrible.. but oem tires is only a small part of the tires they have available.

Therefor, I think its ignorant to say they are all bad from your one experience with oem tires which I've said many times are below average to terrible.

and file that with your rudeness in your round file.

Once again...I don't care what you think. You aren't going to convince me of anything. If you advocate me continuing to buy expensive tires from a company after getting a garbage set, i am glad you dont run my finances. Good money after bad and all that. But you did hurt my feelings SO BAD! Sniff....sniff..

Last edited:
My truck had ContiTracs as the factory tires. They were shot at 20K miles. That's the worst tread life my truck has ever had with a set of tires.

Once again...I don't care what you think. You aren't going to convince me of anything. If you advocate me continuing to buy expensive tires from a company after getting a garbage set, i am glad you dont run my finances. Good money after bad and all that. But you did hurt my feelings SO BAD! Sniff....sniff..

some people just don't get it.

06.gif

I'll say this again.

if you based your tire buying experiences on oem tires they are all "garbage sets"

I guess michelin goodyear kumho hankook conti general etc are all garbage tires right???

what tires did you replace with? oh wait those are garbage tires too....because I'm sure they make some [censored] oem tires for someone.. no matter who they are.

Last edited:
Hey man...I don't care what you think. Not at all. Not one bit. I think you're wrong. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Contis suck. That is all.

Hey man...I don't care what you think. Not at all. Not one bit. I think you're wrong.

After all of your mature, thoughtful, and well-reasoned posts, it might suprise you to find that in many cases, the feeling is mutual.

Respect is a two-way street.

Sarcasm, condescension, and arrogance are not a good start to earning it...

Last edited:
I would put it in more diplomatic terms-but my '03 Vibe came with OE Contis, GM replaced them under warranty for wacky wear on the REAR 2 tires at 10K, the replacement ones also wore strangely & were bad inside of 20K. Also my mom's brand new Matrix came with the Contis OE-BALD at 15K-and she is a 75 year-old grandma! NO THANKS! I'm with 95busa on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back