Saw a lady doing something dangerous!

We had to go to WM tonight. So I wandered over to the automotive section. As I turned the corner I saw an older lady grabbing a lawn mower battery off the top shelf.

Before I could stop her she tipped it towards herself. Lifting it out of the rack,caps down!

She needed a 2nd one so I grabbed the 2nd one for her and warned her not to tip them as they have acid in them.

I then noticed that the first one she grabbed had a 4-18 date code.

I told her she did not want one that old so I dug through them till I found 2 that were 8-20 dates. They had several on the rack that were a year or more old.

How high up were the racks??

If a rack is too high to begin with that is a potential problem... Batteries should not be very high up due to this possibly happening.

Like a Walmart in my area about 18 years ago had old school heavy large TV's up high.... 10+ feet... And somehow one of them fell from that height... Landed on a 2 or 3 year old child. . . Killed the child. Guaranteed Walmart paid bigtime for that lack of forethought. And the store manager was terminated has well.

Yeah... That a bit high... Because of that height... It gave opportunity for something bad to potentially happen. Just like the TV's I mentioned. Batteries with caps that can leak up high... Obviously could get on to someone or worse... Into their eyes.... Not wise placement in my strong opinion.

And you helped keep something bad to potentially very bad from happening...

Sometimes walmart puts orphaned stuff on the top shelf.

You should contact corporate with what you saw. The store number is on your receipts. Their legal team will come down hard on that stores mismanagement.

Don't they have signs that say "ask for help for stuff on the top shelves"? Pretty sure I've seen that in not only Walmart but many other stores. If people chose to ignore that...

Nice of you to help out.

What @eljefino said-- those were probably extra stock stashed up top. During mowing season they should have a big stack in easy reach.

And Walmart really doesn't get the concept of clearance sale-- it's common to find very old stuff there that is expired or technologically obsolete. Other stores would have put it on a discount rack with a big markdown a long time ago.

Since you are in earthquake country I’m surprised Wally’s would stock them up there. Then again I shouldn’t be surprised.

Good For You!
gold star.jpg

She may be the same lady woman I saw at the gas station pumping gas while smoking. I got back in the car and drove away, far away.

I once helped a woman deliver a baby in the paint section at Walmart. Who am I kidding? No I didn’t.

Sometimes walmart puts orphaned stuff on the top shelf.

You should contact corporate with what you saw. The store number is on your receipts. Their legal team will come down hard on that stores mismanagement.

This. I'm not the kind of guy to complain against people, especially those who are doing their job, but when it's a big safety concern, I would.

I’ve helped out old couples at Costco with getting bags of dog food a few times. I have yet to schlep a battery.

She may be the same lady woman I saw at the gas station pumping gas while smoking. I got back in the car and drove away, far away.
I am not trying to start an argument, but in 1967 I was going to Greer Tech a trade school in Chicago, one of our instructors told us that a lit cigarette did not get hot enough to ignite gasoline or its fumes, he then proceeded to open the gas cap on a parked car and held his lit cigarette over the filler hole and blew on. it to fan the flame, nothing happened and he explained that the danger with smoking around gasoline was the lighting of the match which is hot enough to ignite gasoline fumes

Back