Saved BIG $$$ on Engine Mount Replacement

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I was quoted between $1600 and $1700 to replace the motor mounts on my Camry. My suspension guy recommended a shop he uses for his personal cars which is across the street from his shop. Well, I just got the bill from this new-to-me shop: $810.00, and that includes a new serpentine belt (which the Berkeley experts failed to notice needed replacing) and the installation of a new cabin air filter, which I supplied.

This new shop is in a close-by town and is easy to get to. It's not particularly inconvenient. Unlike the Berkeley shops that charge close to $200/hr labor, this guy's shop doesn't offer a comfortable waiting room with coffee, no service writers, and no fancy computer systems. Nope, the guy just wrenches and seems to do just straightforward work.

Clipboard01.jpg

The Berkeley shops quoted me five hours of labor, this guy was finished in 2.5 hours, and he charges for his time not how long the book says it should take.

Today I am a very happy Camry owner.

Nice!

Thanks for the update, I was starting to get ready for this on mine, and had assumed a price—turns out, I assumed correctly.

That doesn't sound like a very smart business person, but I am glad you found a shop that fits your needs.
Sounds like this business uses 'word of mouth' to locate it's customers.
Decent array of Asian Iron parked out front. Minimalist setting.
I'd keep this shop's business card. They seem like a no-nonsense place that still has a business card holder near the counter.

Sounds like this business uses 'word of mouth' to locate it's customers.
Decent array of Asian Iron parked out front. Minimalist setting.
I'd keep this shop's business card. They seem like a no-nonsense place that still has a business card holder near the counter.
Those places rarely last. They are usually the first to shut their doors when their rent gets raised to market-levels because they have been undercharging compared to their peers.

Running a profitable business at market pricing while offering competitive services is really the key to long-term success. If you are underpriced, at some point, something will bite you and you will no longer be relevant.

I was quoted between $1600 and $1700 to replace the motor mounts on my Camry. My suspension guy recommended a shop he uses for his personal cars which is across the street from his shop. Well, I just got the bill from this new-to-me shop: $810.00, and that includes a new serpentine belt (which the Berkeley experts failed to notice needed replacing) and the installation of a new cabin air filter, which I supplied.

This new shop is in a close-by town and is easy to get to. It's not particularly inconvenient. Unlike the Berkeley shops that charge close to $200/hr labor, this guy's shop doesn't offer a comfortable waiting room with coffee, no service writers, and no fancy computer systems. Nope, the guy just wrenches and seems to do just straightforward work.

View attachment 108892

The Berkeley shops quoted me five hours of labor, this guy was finished in 2.5 hours, and he charges for his time not how long the book says it should take.

Today I am a very happy Camry owner.
That is a fair price, you did good. Not everyone in this business is looking to rape everyone who comes through the door.

Those places rarely last. They are usually the first to shut their doors when their rent gets raised to market-levels because they have been undercharging compared to their peers.

Running a profitable business at market pricing while offering competitive services is really the key to long-term success. If you are underpriced, at some point, something will bite you and you will no longer be relevant.
The smart guy either buys or builds his own place, steel buildings don't cost a fortune and once it is equipped you have a pretty good idea what your monthly cost are going to be.

can't argue this^
but the current market anomalies seem to provide a niche for these kind of cut-rate repair shops.
holding on to 'seasoned' chassis means motor mounts, exhaust work, struts & coils. Also the dealers
tend to repel customers with their ultra-high estimates once warranty wall is hit.
This place will be around as long as $5+/gallon gasoline. Might be a nice long run.

For you folks who feel this shop should be charging more, and that they are foolish or poor businessmen for not latching on to as much as can be grabbed, there is one very big consideration that you're overlooking: Location. The two shops I mentioned are in a blue-collar town, a small workingman's town, distant in miles and attitude from Berkeley. They could never command Berkeley prices or pretense.

Neither of these shops is burdened with high overhead, they don't have a dozen or so people on the payroll, and they have a personal, hands-on approach to their customers. Theirs is a completely different way of doing business than Berkeley, etc.

Back