Salt as Traction Aid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch the video - they aren't letting the wheels keep turning or keeping them from locking up - they are intentionally locking them up.

Originally Posted by HangFire
4WD simply helps keep the wheels fronts from locking up so easily, they brake better when they keep turning.

Isn't that what ABS already does?
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Can you explain to me how a 4wd vehicle steers or stops any better than the same vehicle in 2wd?it.

You can see where the white one has all its wheels locked, but the blue one only the front locked. Can't tell if it's the same case in the 2nd round. Not really a fair comparison.

That being said, I drove a RWD, no traction control, 2004 Silverado 1500 when I was a teenager in the snow all the time. With some weight in the back, a dash of common sense, and decent all seasons it was better than any FWD vehicle I've driven since.

Also when I have my SUV out and put into 4wd on slick surfaces it does hold much better in turns and when you let off to slow down you get much better engine braking to all 4 wheels slowing it down.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Can you explain to me how a 4wd vehicle steers or stops any better than the same vehicle in 2wd?it.

It looks like the 4WD locks up all four wheels, but stops faster than the 2WD. Kind of contrary to how they teach braking to the threshold of ABS (maybe these trucks don't have ABS, so smashing the brake was the only consistent way to test?)

I'd bet money that a modern vehicle with stability control and better ABS will likely out-brake both of these, weight and level of tire grip being equal.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by HangFire
4WD simply helps keep the wheels fronts from locking up so easily, they brake better when they keep turning.

Isn't that what ABS already does?
coffee2.gif

The ABS kicks in once the wheels stop, or almost stop turning. The best braking is provided when the wheels stay in step with the vehicle speed and do not break traction with the road surface.

That non-ABS Jeep video only proves that snow skidding with offroad tires has nothing to do with non-skidding braking (the best kind) on slick roads with all season tires. Really, that video proves nothing, as only one run was done. You would need to swap vehicle positions and drivers several times to get a statistically valid result. One side may have been icier than the other, one driver harder on the brakes than the other, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back