Saginaw Power Steering Bushing Replacement Gone Bad

I opted to rebuild my power steering pump instead of getting a rebuilt for my 03 Suburban 1500. Probably would have been easy enough to re-seal, but I thought while I was in there, I would replace the bushing. Hammered the old one out with a socket, no problem.
Went to install the new one with a socket and hammer method and mushroomed the bushing. It is a very soft material. I imagine the only way to deal with this is to have it pressed in. At this point, my pump is rendered useless and I don't have another bushing to try a different install method.
My bad, I should have left the old one alone. Grrr...I guess I will be getting a rebuilt after all.

I opted to rebuild my power steering pump instead of getting a rebuilt for my 03 Suburban 1500. Probably would have been easy enough to re-seal, but I thought while I was in there, I would replace the bushing. Hammered the old one out with a socket, no problem.
Went to install the new one with a socket and hammer method and mushroomed the bushing. It is a very soft material. I imagine the only way to deal with this is to have it pressed in. At this point, my pump is rendered useless and I don't have another bushing to try a different install method.
My bad, I should have left the old one alone. Grrr...I guess I will be getting a rebuilt after all.
Can you clean the bushing up with a file and use a large C clamp or bench vise to press it in? The other option might be all thread with some nuts and washers… 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02

Reactions: wlk
If you decide to attempt a new bushing with the suggestions mentioned already, freeze the bushing in the freezer for an hour or so. Likewise warm the housing in the sun. Maybe the differential in warmth of housing (expansion) and coolness (shrinkage) of the bushing will make it easier to press it in. Did this with pinion bearing races on the last 12 bolt Chevy rear I overhauled. I think it helped.

Kinda reminds me of the stupid 4L60E filter bushings. I learned years ago to not touch those things unless clearly in need of replacement

If you decide to attempt a new bushing with the suggestions mentioned already, freeze the bushing in the freezer for an hour or so. Likewise warm the housing in the sun. Maybe the differential in warmth of housing (expansion) and coolness (shrinkage) of the bushing will make it easier to press it in. Did this with pinion bearing races on the last 12 bolt Chevy rear I overhauled. I think it helped.
This is a big help sometimes. Using dry ice is better or even liquid nitrogen. The welding supply place near my house will give me a thermos bottle full of LN2 for free just for asking. What boils off for them in one day is much greater than what they’re giving me. When doing this the bushing will sometimes just drop right in without even pressing.

Reactions: D60
All good suggestions. I think I will hold on to my factory pump and seal kit and maybe give another try using some of the suggestions here. In the meanwhile, I ordered a new Cardone with 1 day shipping from Amazon for 100.00.
I did not consider filing or reaming the bushing. I figured that this was precision machined surface, but after seeing how soft it is, I can't imagine it would damage the shaft if the top 1/4" of the bushing was filed or ground back to a round shape...maybe even with a slight taper just to be sure.

Back