Safest way to clean front loader washing machine

Leave the door open when not in use.
+1 - and either a cup of bleach or a washing machine cleaner tablet. Baking soda is an abrasive. I would avoid it and TSP. Just because some idiot on the web says it works well does not mean it's good for your washing machine. Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Why do people think they know better than the manufacturer. A washing machine cleaner tablet every month costs a buck or two. Front seal is about $200.

+1 - and either a cup of bleach or a washing machine cleaner tablet. Baking soda is an abrasive. I would avoid it and TSP. Just because some idiot on the web says it works well does not mean it's good for your washing machine. Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Why do people think they know better than the manufacturer. A washing machine cleaner tablet every month costs a buck or two. Front seal is about $200.
Spider arm failure is why a lot of folks don't trust what the manufacturers say - just like cars their recommendations are to get you through the warranty period and thats it then your $1k+ machine goes boom. Spider arms are still the weak link in the front loader machines - yeah they have a beautiful stainless steel tub with a 10 year warranty but if the stamped steel spider arm driving the tub disintegrates that is not covered.

Spider arm failure is why a lot of folks don't trust what the manufacturers say - just like cars their recommendations are to get you through the warranty period and thats it then your $1k+ machine goes boom. Spider arms are still the weak link in the front loader machines - yeah they have a beautiful stainless steel tub with a 10 year warranty but if the stamped steel spider arm driving the tub disintegrates that is not covered.

Yeah I don't trust owners manuals myself. I don't care if it's a car,truck,washing machine,etc.

1/4 C of white vinegar in every load in place of endrocrine disrupting "smelly" softeners!! as well as MANY other things + DON'T think the big $$$ politicans will protect you, they are busy approving GRAS "generally recognized as safe" but prolly NOT chemical additives etc!! my 15YO belt driven Whirlpool front loader is doing well + i love that is only uses 1/3 the water of typical washers!

1/4 C of white vinegar in every load in place of endrocrine disrupting "smelly" softeners!! as well as MANY other things + DON'T think the big $$$ politicans will protect you, they are busy approving GRAS "generally recognized as safe" but prolly NOT chemical additives etc!! my 15YO belt driven Whirlpool front loader is doing well + i love that is only uses 1/3 the water of typical washers!

No fabric softeners are allowed in the house period! 👍

To cut down on the need for washing machine cleaner you need to use the right amount of detergent and forget the liquid fabric softener. Use wool balls in dryer to soften clothes.

In addition to removing clothes promptly when done and leave the door open when washer is not being used.

..... Baking soda is an abrasive. I would avoid it and TSP. Just because some idiot on the web says it works well does not mean it's good for your washing machine.
Backing soda is a salt, it dissolves readily. You can pre-dissolve it if you think 2 TBS is going to grind your machine apart
where abrasive the dirt on you dirty clothes doesn't.

A cup of bleach is about 4X excessive - you must have been watching those Clorox ads from the 60s :)

Just like those old Joe Namath Noxema** T.V. ads with a 1/2 a can of shaving creme on his face
or the Colgate ads with an inch and a half of toothpaste on your brush.
Brainwashing the consumer to waste product so the big conglomerates can sell you MORE.

Not a personal jab at Donald, I am just railing against what took me too much time to realized as an Adult.
Plus I am at the bottom of my breakfast teacup and its kick'n in Big Time !
- Ken

A cup of bleach is about 4X excessive
Okay, I'll try 1/4c next time but the washer is clean after a TCL with 1c. I used vinegar in the past, about 3/4c, and still found soap residue/grime build-up at the bottom, behind the door seal, along the plastic ring/retainer, where the 3 drainage openings are after a TCL. LG recommends the bleach goes into the bleach compartment for the TCL but I jut pour it down soap chute. 🤷‍♂️

I use 1 tbs. of non-HE powder for whites and 1/2 the amount of the suggested liquid detergent for darks as of now. I pre-treat stains with a dedicated stain remover and use pods for those loads with vinegar in the rinse due to the SUDS (pods overdose in my opinion). On the weekend, I used a toothbrush and some left over Lava bar soap for a tomato sauce stain and it worked but, was hesitant that it may ruin the fabric. Softener sheets go in the dryer during the winter months to help reduce static and dryer balls in the summer when drying time is significantly reduced.

Is my OCD noticeable yet?

Has anyone here looked at these (or has one?) - claims to eliminate need for detergent and has side benefit of keeping your washer clean. I had my eye on it for a minute but other half cannot stand ozone smell which nixed the idea.

O3 washer system

I have a Frigidaire front load, never had a problem - I use Lemishine washing machine cleaner, or another brand occasionally, maybe once every couple of months - I leave the door open after use, as well as the detergent drawer. I put water into the unused fabric softener dispenser when not using fabric softener, and I occasionally take the drawer out and clean it. I use Seventh Generation liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener, try not to use more than called for, and use the extra rinse cycle (I have Excema and Psoriasis, so gentle skin stuff is important, as well as very thoroughly rinsing clothes -

I have a Frigidaire front load, never had a problem - I use Lemishine washing machine cleaner, or another brand occasionally, maybe once every couple of months - I leave the door open after use, as well as the detergent drawer. I put water into the unused fabric softener dispenser when not using fabric softener, and I occasionally take the drawer out and clean it. I use Seventh Generation liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener, try not to use more than called for, and use the extra rinse cycle (I have Excema and Psoriasis, so gentle skin stuff is important, as well as very thoroughly rinsing clothes -
I use the Seventh Generation Free and Clear as I cannot stand my clothes having a scent at all.

Backing soda is a salt, it dissolves readily. You can pre-dissolve it if you think 2 TBS is going to grind your machine apart
where abrasive the dirt on you dirty clothes doesn't.

A cup of bleach is about 4X excessive - you must have been watching those Clorox ads from the 60s :)

Just like those old Joe Namath Noxema** T.V. ads with a 1/2 a can of shaving creme on his face
or the Colgate ads with an inch and a half of toothpaste on your brush.
Brainwashing the consumer to waste product so the big conglomerates can sell you MORE.

Not a personal jab at Donald, I am just railing against what took me too much time to realized as an Adult.
Plus I am at the bottom of my breakfast teacup and its kick'n in Big Time !
- Ken
I was using a cup of bleach more to say just straight bleach rather than the exact quantity. But obviously some would assume I meant a real 8 oz of bleach. I use the washing machine cleaner tablets. The cost per year is pretty low.

Curious as what methods of cleaning the front load washing machine work the best.

I have been throwing a small amount of baking soda inside the drum,then selecting the self cleaning cycle every 4 months. But I've also read that it's possible for the baking soda to cause corrosion issues,but don't see any evidence of that.
MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil)?
I have heard that lemon juice works pretty good.

Back