Safest way to clean front loader washing machine

Curious as what methods of cleaning the front load washing machine work the best.

I have been throwing a small amount of baking soda inside the drum,then selecting the self cleaning cycle every 4 months. But I've also read that it's possible for the baking soda to cause corrosion issues,but don't see any evidence of that.

I've used straight bleach and the Tide washing machine cleaning stuff. Both seem to work well. Our Samsung prompts you to run a self-clean every 40 loads. Seems to take us about 2-3 weeks of laundry to get there. The manual also says to use nothing, but most of the time I'll throw the bleach in there. Even letting it run straight water, it must do a pretty good job because it finds enough soap residue to suds up pretty well when it is running the cycle.

Every 30 washes my maytag flashes a message to clean it. I throw in an afresh tablet and run the cycle.

I use a cup of bleach and run the cleaning cycle when it signals, feels like it comes on monthly with my LG FL.
it also works as (greasy) drain cleaner.
bleach is killer for smell bacteria, very brave can use 1 tsp into cycle. (careful)
i have hard water - citric acid is useful, also for cleaning glass bottles (after the lye or bleach+dishsoap was used)
instead fabric softener add 1/2-1 tsp of citric acid. that will kill any mineral buildup in machine, clothes are just fine
We also open the detergent door while not in use and we don't use liquid detergent.
+1

Don't use vegetable oil based detergents. Ours is staying clean we went to powders

I would be careful with acids. they are metal chewers.

Never run bleach and detergent at the same time they cancel each other out; I think you end up with salt and oil - one would have to ask the Chem E or chemists on the forum to really know the reaction.

I’ve used the Tide stuff as well as Lysol’s new cleaner. Samsung with a 40-cycle cleaning reminder here. Next time, I’ll try it with just water and OxyClean to provide a bit of oxygen to oxidize the bad stuff.

Don't use vegetable oil based detergents. Ours is staying clean we went to powders

We used to use a “natural” detergent from Costco - Ecos. It’s worthless. The only “natural” stuff worth buying is Seventh Generation or Tide PurClean.

We use pods - easy to overdose detergent in front loads to throw codes.

Never cleaned or had to clean our 15+ year old LG front load washer. Like suggested above, the key is to leave the door open when not in use and wipe the crud out of the nooks and crannies in the door seal frequently.

If you keep the door closed on any front loader, it's going to stink. Nature of the design.

My Electrolux manual doesn't recommend using anything during a self clean cycle so most of the time I just run it as is, every few times I'll pour a few glugs of distilled vinegar in as well. I've tried small amounts of bleach but with the crazy wash action, high water level and assuming residual detergent it would oversuds. My door seal is still mildew free 4.5 years later which I attribute more to leaving the door open between use.

Not sure its nature of all front loaders but the detergent drawer on my Electrolux grows mildew like crazy if I don't leave the drawer open while not in use.

Knock on wood 4.5 years with my Electrolux and no issues with the washer yet - the dryer is a different story and overall the lint filtering and exhaust were poor designs which were fixed in later iterations. I ended up having to retrofit my lint filter myself at my own expense because Electrolux would not address my concerns of the blower wheel and everything downstream filling up with lint (aka fire hazard) - that still chaps my behind but its been fine ever since I retrofitted it while it was still under warranty.

Back