Safe to run Wide Open Throttle with E10 fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I run E85 at full throttle and have no problems. Then again the cars computer uses the oxygen sensor to tell how much ethanol is in the fuel every time you put fuel in. This is then stored in the computer and used for fuel mapping purposes until next fill up. Well that and fuel injectors that can inject up to 40% more fuel and an stainless steel fuel rail.

This is of course in an e85 vehicle. I can't see why a non e85 vehicle wouldn't use a system that figures the ethanol in the fuel at fill ups via the oxygen sensor. Since as far as I can figure it is just a few more lines of code.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I ride a bike with sealed carbs from 1982. I unsealed the idle mix screw to richen it a tad with this E10 stuff.

It was set up to run lean on 100% gas. (1982 style EPA complaince.) Since I fixed the idle it stumbles a bit at about 10% throttle. Above that the power enrichment seems to take over and it runs great again. And it runs good at WOT. Plugs look super. Aircooled motor hasn't melted a piston or anything yet either.

No feedback system could botch this any worse than my non feedback system. As said above the fuel tables get rewritten at an appropriate pace. Everyone gets power enrichment; the newer stuff gets a crazy amount actually to keep NOx down by cooling off combustion temps.

hmm maybe I should play with the setting on my 1967 john deere lt 110. It runs pretty good as it is though.

Lots of good points made on this thread, but I'd make one more: Any non-forced-induction commuter car engine that could possibly be damaged by WOT operation on E10 DESERVES to die and the designer is a moron. Even IF the WOT mixture actually went truly lean (which it doesn't as pointed out already due to long-term trim and over-enrichment for NOx reduction) lean damage is extraordinarily unlikely without either forced induction or very high compression ratios, neither of which a Yaris has.

if you get 0.6 - 1% water in a depot underground storage tank - the ethanol add will separate and stratify and at some point in the tank usage someone may get way over 10% ethanol. Sure it happens more than you think. Yes they may stick the tank but the indicator putty may not repsond to water in the ethanol, only stratified water. Cars can die on this excess E10 add, someone just killed a new subaru on the subaruforester.org and dealer wouldnt replace injectors and engine under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back