SAE 841 Bronze Sleeve Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a sleeve bearing made from SAE 841 Bronze 'survive' in the front axle pivot of a Gravely 4-wheel garden tractor with a front-mount 48 inch snowblower attached?

I was not able to find the correct size replacement sleeve bearing made fron steel and am wondering if the '841' Bronze will hold up this winter with the 48" front-mount snowblower attached.

Thank you in advance.

Either 841 or 863 would bother work, however I agree the 863 would be my choice, don't overlook 660. I have a Cub Cadet 1450 (and some others in my family) all true IH Cub Cadets, and they came with cast iron pivot pins, cast iron is one of the best bushing materials available, many people do not know this, and assume cast iron is cheap, however in high load etc type applications cast iron is one of the best bushing materials you can use.

If you use 841 I recomend adding a grease fitting to allow it to be easily greased. 841 should make it through the winter no problem but I would not stop looking for the proper part though!If need be you can have a machine shop turn one for you fairly cheaply on a lathe this would allow you to use almost any alloy you wanted to use from cold rolled mild steel to D2 to waspalloy etc......

I think that some good Sleeves would be the key in some areas around here. In this way, you would be able to really get things straight and do it with good purpose on your vehicle.

Umm... this is for a lawnmower, right?

No need to over-think it. Any ol' bronze or brass or steel will be fine.

If it is not needed to have (removed non site sponsor link) on that one, and that would be even good. But just to be sure, it would be best if you have that one in tact in order to make things well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back