Saab!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a beautiful 1995 Saab 900S NA. I want to go to Maxlife full synthetic. The problem is, where I live it is very,very hot, Not an arid desert heat, but an Africa kind of hot. A very humid tropical climate(Key West). Maxlife full synthetic only comes in a 5W30 or 10W30 viscosity.I have been using Maxlife 10W40 synthetic blend for quite some time,since 75,000 miles.It now has 110,000 miles with no issues what so ever. Question is, is the 10W30 going to be heavy enough, or should I stay with what I'm doing. Or something else.Thanks for any advice you can give me. What say ye noble mon!

Last edited:
What does the manual recommend, saabmon? If it calls for something in a 40 grade in your weather conditions and you're stuck on synthetic, M1 0w-40 might be worth considering.

Garak has the answer. Go with whatever grade the manual recommends, and then upgrade by purchasing that spec. in full synthetic. No need to go to super heavy oil beyond what the car company recommends.

Last edited:
What does the SAAB fsm reccomend? If you`re wanting a 40 or 50,there`s also M1 10W40HM and M1 15W50. Both can be bought at Walmart in their inexpensive 5 quart jug.

Maybe a tad OT, but as far as wear goes I don't think a vehicle's engine can tell the difference between humid heat (Florida) and the dry heat we have here in Phoenix. Humid vs dry air may affect other things on a vehicle but 100 degrees in Florida and 100 degrees in Phoenix are both rough on your engine.

All things being equal, 10W30 and 5W30 should be about the same viscosity grade once engine is hot. When engine is not fully warm, then both are too thick on start-up, but 5W30 is usually less thick than 10W30. The difference is not that big though. However, the 10W40 is significantly thicker than 30 grade oils on start up. 10W40 doesn't seem like such a good idea if you take many short trims. If you want a 40grade oil, consider Mobil 1 0W40. It has been returning very good UOA reports.

Originally Posted By: azjake
100 degrees in Florida and 100 degrees in Phoenix are both rough on your engine.

I disagree with the rough part unless this is a air cooled engine. Really what is the oil temperature difference between water cooled, computer controlled engines under normal operating conditions at 50F and 100F? Now if you like some constant spirited driving at a race track. That would be a different story.

Originally Posted By: saabmon
I have a beautiful 1995 Saab 900S NA. I want to go to Maxlife full synthetic. The problem is, where I live it is very,very hot, Not an arid desert heat, but an Africa kind of hot. A very humid tropical climate(Key West). Maxlife full synthetic only comes in a 5W30 or 10W30 viscosity.I have been using Maxlife 10W40 synthetic blend for quite some time,since 75,000 miles.It now has 110,000 miles with no issues what so ever. Question is, is the 10W30 going to be heavy enough, or should I stay with what I'm doing. Or something else.Thanks for any advice you can give me. What say ye noble mon!

I bought a 2000 Saab 9-5 with the abs out, no a/c or heat in the car and several other problems two years ago. I fixed everything on that car cheaply with help from the guys on this excellent forum: http://www.saabcentral.com

Those guy's on that forum own Saab's and know the cars inside and out. Visit that site to get some additional oil recommendations. I know most of the guy's on that site prefer the Mobil 1 brand for the 2000 Saab 9-5. I never researched the 900S model on there though. The Mobil 1 website will recommend a certain grade for your model and this will also be the recommendation from most of the guy's on the Saab forum.

Oil temp is greatly affected by ambient temps.
So it is a real consideration.

I'd stick with your 10-40 . Maybe a HDEO 15-40.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Oil temp is greatly affected by ambient temps.
So it is a real consideration.

Driving style is a lot bigger factor for motor oil temperatures. Than ambient temperatures seen on most of the Earth. I am more concern about staring a engine in the Arctic circle than operating one in the Desert-southwest.

Min requirements: fully synthetic, API Group III+, ACEA A3, 3.5 HTHS, #W40.
I run M1 5W50 with good results during hot days here (daylight temperature is min. 86°F through approx. 3-4 months).

Last edited:
In a non turbo 900 of that vintage, you can run whatever you want. Those engines are not hard on oil in the slightest. IIRC, wasn't the original spec for 5 or 10W30? It certainly wasn't for a synth. Heck I don't think the turbos specifically spec'd synth back then, much less the n/a's. Just run whatever and enjoy. If you want to obsess, buy a synth and be happy. But a nice high mileage dino would probably suit you just fine.

Originally Posted By: Moab
Originally Posted By: saabmon

I bought a 2000 Saab 9-5 with the abs out, no a/c or heat in the car and several other problems two years ago. I fixed everything on that car cheaply with help from the guys on this excellent forum: http://www.saabcentral.com

Those guy's on that forum own Saab's and know the cars inside and out. Visit that site to get some additional oil recommendations. I know most of the guy's on that site prefer the Mobil 1 brand for the 2000 Saab 9-5. I never researched the 900S model on there though. The Mobil 1 website will recommend a certain grade for your model and this will also be the recommendation from most of the guy's on the Saab forum.

As a moderator and composer of most of the oil threads, I'd say the guys over there are pure geniuses, lol.

This is the non turbo engine that the OP is asking about.

You'd have to check the manual to be sure but I do not think the non-turbo requires an A3 oil. It's just a basic 4 cyl engine... If it's in there, it's just b/c saab was lazy and didn't want to confuse anyone. This engine CAN have oil issues but I believe it requires a unique set of mechanical failures that, truth be told, wasn't seen very often.

Many NG900 owners (Turbo and N/A cars) use Mobil 1 0w-40, Rotella T-6 5w-40, GC 0w-30 or Delo 400LE 5w-40. I run Delo 5w-40 in my 1998 900S N/A. I actually just got my oil analysis, so I'll be posting that tomorrow night.

40-weight is one of the spec's for Turbo and N/A cars, turbo guys tend to use it over 30-weight as 30-weight tends to give low oil pressure and the 40 tends to be more stout for the abuse the turbo gives the oil.

If you were to run a 30-weight, I'd say run GC 0w-30 or Rotella T-5 10w-30, as it's closer to a 40-weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back