Saab Turbo in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,
I come from forums Saab central& Saablink mainly US based) and everyone speaks highly of this site. My problem is because I'm talking to guys in the US, the brands they recommend are not avaliable in Australia (or are very hard to find and expensive).
The main oil recommended is Rotella T6 5w40.Also 30 weight oil is to thin for our pumps at idile.
A quick background on the car,
My model (94-97 ng900)has been known to have a sludge promblem,but not as bad as the next model (98-03).
I have recently changed the head gasket and found my engine to be in exellent condition.
The run down,
Car: 97 Saab 900 2.0 turbo(stage 3)270hp (approx)
Specs:API service SG or CCMC G4 or G5
Australia Sydney NSW (Average Climate)never snows,Mainly warm
Driving style: Spirited
Daily Drive: 30 mins to work and 50 mins back (Traffic)
Known promblems: Possible sludge
Preference: Full Syn(40weight) at a reasonable price (like Rotella)
Cheers Greg

With stage 3 turbo you may try 50 and 60 grade oils. Castrol,M1 and Eneos have good 50 grade oils. 10w-60 Castrol and Liqui Moly are easiest to get. But T6 is probably the cheapest one.
Judging by Australian E-bay you have Motul availiable.
But if you want to keep is safe and cheaper, I would hold on to T6 and change it every 8000km max. and use flush ones a year. Not sure about which variety of brands there, but sure that Liqui Moly is sold in AU(I have a can from Australia delivered), which work very good in most cases.
Is gasket was changed out before turbo upgrade?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
With stage 3 turbo you may try 50 and 60 grade oils. Castrol,M1 and Eneos have good 50 grade oils. 10w-60 Castrol and Liqui Moly are easiest to get. But T6 is probably the cheapest one.
Judging by Australian E-bay you have Motul availiable.
But if you want to keep is safe and cheaper, I would hold on to T6 and change it every 8000km max. and use flush ones a year. Not sure about which variety of brands there, but sure that Liqui Moly is sold in AU(I have a can from Australia delivered), which work very good in most cases.
Is gasket was changed out before turbo upgrade?

When I said Stage 3 I meant the ECU(computer) is tuned to stage 3.
The turbo is a Garrett T-25,soon to be upgraded to T-28(300+hp.
I think 50&60 grade oils way to thick.Its got to be 40 weight.
The head gasket was after the last upgrade but I think it has always had a slight leak.Just as I have increased the hp the leak has been exposed more.

I like the sound of that.I like the thought of running a Diesel oil,knowing that diesel oil has better detergents to combat sludge.

Last edited:
I know a guy who runs 10w-60 in 3.0L v6 non turbo Eclipse, and it is perfectly fine. Turbo cars are hard on oil, tuned turbo cars--even more.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2377575

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=134913&Number=1939470

I think T6 is more robust oil( almost twice more TBN to prove), nothing personal against Valvoline, I have stash of their oil too.
My personal plan is just keep trying different oils, only because of curiosity(don't care about price(well not crazy like $200 for 5 liter racing oil)), and see which oil engine likes the most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
http://www.gllubricants.com/
http://www.performancelub.com/index.htm

both of these guys sell US oil imported at good prices.

GL actually has Rotella T 5w-40, but not sure how T and T6 differ...

Thanks,Ive been on these sites before. I think GL lube is the only place in Australia that has Rotella.Gee its hard to get here and its such a good oil.
I think I might just run Rotella in my car. I was hoping to find an oil I could buy anywhere and stick to it.

Isn't Rotella=Helix in Au?
A Saabing friend is very happy with Liqui Moly.
There is a well respected gent from Au on this board who was involved in applied tribology - his name escapes me at the moment, others will remind immediately. I would consult with him.

Doug Hillary is his name. Sorry, my Alzheimer moment.

And Mobil Delvac 1 is a grand oil, btw.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0w40. Very high detergency for a gasoline engine oil, and has a long list of European manufacurer's approvals. If it's OK with Porsche for their turbo cars, it should be good enough for your Saab.

I was also thinking about the M1 0W40, but was not sure as to whether shearing resistance and HTHS is high enough for his application. Excellent oil.

After seeing the movie "real steel" i might just try Royal Purple... hahaha
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Isn't Rotella=Helix in Au?
A Saabing friend is very happy with Liqui Moly.
There is a well respected gent from Au on this board who was involved in applied tribology - his name escapes me at the moment, others will remind immediately. I would consult with him.

Doug Hillary is his name. Sorry, my Alzheimer moment.

And Mobil Delvac 1 is a grand oil, btw.

I can get Helix quite easily but I thought Helix and rotella where different blends although being the same brand

Originally Posted By: Y_K
I was also thinking about the M1 0W40, but was not sure as to whether shearing resistance and HTHS is high enough for his application. Excellent oil.
all of the more experienced saab bloggers stay away from M1.They always say that M1 does'nt shear well.
I have no understanding of this at all. What is shearing?
I can get mobil products real easy

Originally Posted By: bogan
all of the more experienced saab bloggers stay away from M1.They always say that M1 does'nt shear well.

If I'm right, SAAB engine has low friction piston rings, so high temperature and high shear (HTHS) viscosity number is essential. M1 0W40 has 3.6 and approved by SAAB.
Sometimes I use M1 5W50, it has 4.22, but no approval by GM/SAAB; the former owner always used this (BMW garage owner as well).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoli
Originally Posted By: bogan

If I'm right, SAAB engine has low friction piston rings, so high temperature and high shear (HTHS) viscosity number is essential. M1 0W40 has 3.6 and approved by SAAB.
Sometimes I use M1 5W50, it has 4.22, but no approval by GM/SAAB; the former owner always used this (BMW garage owner as well).

That's some good info.
Most tuned up Saab owners stay away From M1, and I never understood why .You just explained it.Low Visco number. AAArrhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back