Saab 9-2x steering wheel shudder when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepson drives a 2006 Saab 9-2x Linear, which is basically a non-turbo Subaru Impreza 2.5i in Saab disguise (Saabaru). It has about 80k miles on it. When the engine is cold, when first driving it the steering has a lack of boost and there is a definite shake/shudder felt through the steering wheel. The problem goes away completely after a bit of driving when everything is warm. For you Subaru gurus, is this indicative of a failing steering rack or PS pump? I'm going to try changing the PS fluid to see if that makes any difference. If the rack or pump is failing I'd like to get a head start and order a rebuilt from RockAuto.

Fluid would be my first thought. Had a couple vehicles that did this before, but not after, a PS fluid change. I guess over time the fluid attracts moisture, which ends up as ice particles when cold.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Fluid would be my first thought. Had a couple vehicles that did this before, but not after, a PS fluid change. I guess over time the fluid attracts moisture, which ends up as ice particles when cold.

+1 First place I would look is the fluid.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Kuato

+1 First place I would look is the fluid.

+2
I would pull out as much fluid from the res and if possible, upgrade to syn fluid (most systems accept some form of ATF).

Did this on all cars I've owned and always made a noticeable difference. Never a leaking rack or pump.

Rubber belts SHRINK as they warm, and a loose belt may shrink just enough to work properly after it slips enough to heat up.

I'm the kind of guy who changes PS fluid somewhat regularly. If I recall correctly I changed the PS fluid on this car during the summer of 2014, using Amsoil synthetic ATF. I doubt the car has been driven more than 10k miles since then. I'll change it in the next couple of days just because that's the logical first step, but I suspect the problem is in the pump or rack.

I appreciate the replies.

I'll echo what others have stated regarding the fluid.

In our 9-2x I used MaxLife ATF and did several complete reservoir drain & fills, with a few minutes of driving and lock-to-lock turns in between each fill.

I used my fluid extractor, but you can accomplish the job pretty easily with a turkey baster and a bit of tubing.

Empty the ps reservoir remove the return hose and plug the spout on the reservoir, extend the return hose and put it in a bucket. Disable ecu by removing the fuse. Fill reservoir with clean fluid and crank engine for about 2-3 seconds. Refill reservoir and repeat till all fluid comes out clean in the bucket. I like to put use a drain pan with screen for this and put an old but clean white oil filter on the screen of the pan then put the discharge hose on the filter. This way you can more easily tell when the fluid is coming out clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back