Power steering problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about my 2001 Dodge Dakota. 149,000 miles on it now, V-6 engine with a 5-speed manual transmission.

A month ago I replaced the power steering pressure hose because it was leaking. I put the new hose on, added a few ounces of fresh Power Steering Fluid (all of my manuals say only use PSF, do not use ATF, and it says "Use Approved PSF Only" on the PS pump cap too) and I bled the system by turning the wheels back and forth about 25 times. All was OK until this week when I saw a puddle of PSF under the truck. I checked it out and found the power steering pump was leaking. Last night I replaced the pump with an Atsco reman pump from Auto Zone. A new OEM pump is $315.00 plus a $15.00 core at the local Dodge dealer. Way out of my budget, and they don't have one in stock anyway. No parts store around here sells a new PS pump, they only sell a reman. Not Napa, Carquest, AZ or AAP. I did not see new PS pumps on RockAuto either. AZ was also the only store around here that had my pump in stock. The box also says the AZ reman pump is Made In The USA.

So, I installed the AZ reman pump and a new return hose too, and bled the system again by turning the wheels. Filled the pump to the cold level, ran the truck in the garage, checked the hot level, all looked good, no leaks anywhere. I went for a test drive, about 15 miles round trip. Steering was pretty good, more firm and tight than it was with the old PS pump. At the end of the test drive and when I got home I noticed the wheel was harder to turn when doing slow parking maneuvers or driving at slow speeds, like in a parking lot or in my driveway.

I checked the fluid level today, I had a little too much in the pump for the cold reading, siphoned some out to get the correct cold level, took a test drive, truck steers OK when moving but is still stiff at slow speeds. Checked the hot level when I got home, it looks OK, just below the hot line. I had a helper turn the steering wheel with the engine running tonight while I watched the fluid in the pump. It did not look like much fluid was moving while the wheel was being turned, but at the end of the turn when you hold the wheel a few seconds, then I saw fluid moving, but not a very fast rate of speed. The fluid also has little tiny air bubbles in it, but no foam or froth.

When I looked into the PS pump with the engine running but the wheel not being turned, it does not look like any fluid is moving at all. A very reputable local shop down the street told me that means the pump is bad. They also said the only way to remove any air from the PS was to bleed it by turning the steering wheels and/or driving. They said that eventually just the action from drivng will force the air out and it should get better, provided the PS pump is OK. They also said that AZ reman pumps are junk, they won't use anything but Napa.

I have searched all over the Internet and also here on BITOG. I can not find out if my pump is bad or the system has too much air in it or both. The truck did sit overnight with the PS pump and lines removed so it probably did get a fair quantity of air in it. The steering rack is OK, I have had absolutely no steering rack trouble or noise before this PS fiasco.

What do you guys think? Is it a bad pump, or truck just needs to be bled/driven to remove the air, does driving to purge the air even work? I do appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

It should be ok if you have assist. Can you turn the wheels at idle without moving? If no power steering it would be very hard. The easiest way to bleed is to get the front wheels off the ground and just go full lock to lock, key in ignition but engine off. Driving it should get the rest of the air out.

Thanks. The wheels will turn when I am sitting at idle, but the wheel is stiff and harder to turn than before I replaced the pump. It's kind of a jerky type motion in the steering wheel as I turn it. It's not impossible to turn the wheel, my girlfriend was turning the wheel for me tonight while I was looking in the PS reservoir, and she did not have much trouble with it. I am going to put the truck back up on jack stands tomorrow and do it your way by turning the wheels without the engine running. Thanks for your help. I do not want to R&R the pump again.

on some of the hondas had trouble with the power steering pump PULLING IN air to the system. making it hard to turn. i know its rare to pull air INTO a hydraulic system, the air went IN past the seal, but didnt leak, but my sons honda did it, but it wasnt so bad that we had to do fix it.

I don't think you should see much fluid movement in the reservoir while idling. But it does kind of sounds like the pump is putting out low output. Theres really know way of knowing without hooking up pressure guages. Maybe some debris is stuck in the pressure valve and will eventualy clear out.

Thanks again. I have been reading more about it online tonight and read that insufficient pump flow is definitely one of the main causes of tight steering and a binding or sticking spot in the steering. Binding and sticking are defintely the problems I am having with my power steering. When I drive at normal speeds and in a straight line it steers OK but it is a lot tighter than it used to be. Another problem is when I make turns when moving at slow speeds or when I turn the steering wheel while sitting idling with the wheels on the ground. As soon as I turn the wheel maybe 1/4 of a turn in either direction, the steering feels like it "catches" on something and it takes more effort to move the steering wheel any further through the radius of the turn. That is the only way I can describe what it is doing, and I know it is not normal.

Tomorrow I am going to take the pump off and exchange it for another pump at AZ, then re-fill the PS system and bleed it like Audios suggested. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Maybe I just got a bad pump.

I appreciate the help here. Thanks.

I replaced the PS pump on my 2004 Odyssey with an AZ brand re-manufactured pump. It's been working good for the last 5000 miles. I hate how they paint over all the surfaces, but seems like all re-manufactured pumps are like that.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't think you should see much fluid movement in the reservoir while idling. But it does kind of sounds like the pump is putting out low output. Theres really know way of knowing without hooking up pressure guages. Maybe some debris is stuck in the pressure valve and will eventualy clear out.

On a Honda, you can see quite a bit of fluid movement peeking into the reservoir; looks like a milkshake in a blender.

Well, here's an update. I saw a video on Youtube for how to bleed the PS with the key on, engine off, front end off the ground on jack stands. I decided to try that first before R&R'ing the pump. The bleed procedure worked great. I had to turn the wheels lock to lock about 200 times but when I was done with that I went on a test drive, truck steered nearly perfect in parking lots and coming back into my driveway.

The truck steered better driving at speed on the highway too, not near as tight and stiff as before, just back to normal power steering. The system made a little noise on slow speed turns, I checked the hot level on the PS fluid, it was a little low, I added enough to bring it back just below the hot line. Then I took another test drive, did some more slow maneuvers in the gas station parking lot and a few U-turns, it steers perfectly now. I imagine any residual air that might be in the system will bleed out as I drive, but the steering is working fine now.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I do appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back