S2021 Toyota Highlander long term rental review

In June I was rear ended this was just 10 days after i hit a deer needless to saya my Tacoma had to go in the body Shop for some repairs. I was provided a rental by the insurance of the party who was reading invoices while driving..ouch
I ended up with a well used 2021 highlander with 49k miles. Due To slow parts availability (blind spot monitors) I was just able to pick up my truck and turn in the rental which I had for about 6 months.

Enterprise doesn’t put floor mats in their rentals and the drivers side carpet had a hole worn. There were some others wear items such as the sunglasses holder seemed to have been broken and poorly repaired. The tires were serviceable but I had to repair 1 and replace 1 during the rental period. This was paid by rental company.
the highlander was a black XLE with black fake leather interior and captains chairs in the back.
driving experience was great. The vehicle was fun and easy to drive on highways and country roads.
gas mileage was surprisingly good averaging over 27 mpg for the time I had it (over 8k miles) and the best tanks were in the low 29 mpg range.

tThe highlander XLE shares many technology features as the RX350 including Apple car play.
lane keep assist, self pacing cruise etc , these made navigating Dallas, Waco and Austin traffic jams less stressful. The brake hold feature has grown on me. The start stop feature for the engine didn’t bother me.
the seats of course are not the same quality as in the Lexus but we’re serviceable and still comfortable.
I disliked the black interior, in the summer it is very hot.
I often used the Highlander like a truck. Loading it up with fishing gear or bags of mulch from the big box store with the rear seats stowed down I enjoyed the carrying space and capacity.

Other than a couple of tire punctures(Kelly tires) the vehicle performed reliably with no issues for the 6 months And I preferred it for long trips compared to the Tacoma. with the captains chairs you can travel with a total of 4 full sized adults In comfort and ease. Although I used it like a sports truck with great mileage.

I am glad to have my truck back, it’s crude, less tech, and fun And I am keeping it. I would like to find a appropriately depreciated highlander as a trip vehicle in the future.
Yes, you can haul a kayak

Attachments

• 6C2DA791-CCED-4F42-9067-CFF8D136AF37.jpeg
    6C2DA791-CCED-4F42-9067-CFF8D136AF37.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 23
  • 503539C8-87B4-4AF3-9778-8852251E8812.jpeg
    503539C8-87B4-4AF3-9778-8852251E8812.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 23
Do most people like the adaptive cruise control? My wife's Santa Fe has that feature and I absolutely hate it. Wish there was a way to override it.

Enterprise actually does put floor mats in the vehicles its just that not every vehicle comes with them and believe it or not they tend to get stolen. Toyotas were horrible for wearing holes into the main carpet of the vehicle with no floor mats.

Interesting that you were able to compare the Highlander with your RX350, curious why you'd want a used Highlander for trips when you've got the Lexus??
The Lexus is smaller inside than the Highlander...so one can pack more items in a Highlander. The steeply raked hatch is more for style than cargo holding on the RX.

Do most people like the adaptive cruise control? My wife's Santa Fe has that feature and I absolutely hate it. Wish there was a way to override it.
I have a car with adaptive cruise control. Love it, point the car and cruise, no adjusting unless traffic comes close to stopping.

I love it it will come to a complete stop and start again in stop and go, my trucks cuts of at 29 mph I think.

Interesting that you were able to compare the Highlander with your RX350, curious why you'd want a used Highlander for trips when you've got the Lexus??
better for hauling big things. The Lexus is usually with my wife. We currently have jobs and houses between Oklahoma and Texas.

We bought a dark blue 22 xle in April. Now have 13,000 on it. We love it. Getting 24.5 with it, first Toyota.

I love it it will come to a complete stop and start again in stop and go, my trucks cuts of at 29 mph I think.
Technically it won't go again, until you press the cruise control resume button (and there's option #2 also, which I can't remember off the top of my head)

Technically it won't go again, until you press the cruise control resume button (and there's option #2 also, which I can't remember off the top of my head)
I could stop for 3-5 seconds, whine stopped traffic, it would resume when the car ahead moved forward. If longer than 3-5 seconds you would have to touch the throttle and it would resume. (I use it in conjunction with the Hold feature). Works the same in the Lexus. Just never touch the brake and you won’t have to touch resume on the cc.

Back