S2000 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG crew!

Recently purchased a 2000 S2000 (AP1) with the F20C 2.0L 8,800 RPM engine in it. Car has 129K on it and will be used as a track toy and street go-cart. Will not see cold weather usage.

The car is specced for a conventional 10w-30 from Honda. Previous owner ran Amsoil 10w-40 in the engine, Amsoil MTF in the trans, and Amsoil 75w-90 in the rear axle. The hot oil pressure at idle is 32-36psi, and at 3,000rpm is at 83psi. The spec calls for 35psi & 85psi respectively. To me, it sounds like a 40 grade oil is appropriate, would you agree?

Amsoil 10w-40 is expensive compared to what I would normally run. Could I switch to a 0w-40 oil, perhaps the same as what I run in my German cars?

Any recommendations for the trans or diff? Honda of America Racing Team runs Redline - I was thinking of trying that.

Last edited:
Congrats on the car!

A friend of mine with an AP2 ran 0w40 (I believe either M1 or Castrol) forever. He bought his with around 40,000 miles and now has closer to 135,000. No issues, but no UOAs either. His is run quite hard.

For the trans, I'm sure the Amsoil is good. I ran Redline MTF in my 08 Civic SI and loved it. I went from OEM honda, to "improved" OEM honda mtf formula which made things better, but it was by far the best with Redline MTF. I realize the trans is probably different, but still honda 6 speeds. One thing that effected shifting negatively in that car was a weak clutch master cylinder. it was a known issue, I'm not sure if the AP1 is effected similarly.

all other things equal wouldnt running a lower viscoity oil also lower your engine oil's PSI?

is 0w40 more viscous than 10w30?

I would run the same 0W-40 with European approvals that you run in your other cars. Amsoil is fine for the diff, but I only liked Honda MTF when I had my S2k.

Honda recommends conventional 10W30 for warmer climate 0F or higher and 5W40 for below 0F. This means xW40 can be used in warmer area.

Currently I have Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 10W30 in it, previous fill was Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 and it sheared down to 20 weight in 5k miles.

Since you track your S2k I think xW40 is the right choice. I would use any name brand, dino 10W40 for 4-6k OCI, syn 0W40 or 5W40 with 7-8k OCI.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda recommends conventional 10W30 for warmer climate 0F or higher and 5W40 for below 0F. This means xW40 can be used in warmer area.

Currently I have Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 10W30 in it, previous fill was Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 and it sheared down to 20 weight in 5k miles.

Since you track your S2k I think xW40 is the right choice. I would use any name brand, dino 10W40 for 4-6k OCI, syn 0W40 or 5W40 with 7-8k OCI.

What would you think of Mobil 1 10w-40 HM? Great shear resistance and 40 grade to keep the oil pressure up.

When I had an '03 S2000 (same engine as yours), I ran 0W30 German Castrol and I live in Florida. I would not hesitate to run M1 0W-40 in it.

Remember that the F20C-powered S2000 went on sale in late 1999. A lot has changed in oils since then. In 1999, 10w30 was a more common grade. Nowadays pretty much every manufacturer that spec'd 10w30 allows 5w30 since it is so stable and stout.

That being said, I would think one of the "thick 30s/thin 40s" that others have recommended would be fine. If you like Red Line, their 0w40 is a very impressive oil. You could also run Renewable Lube's 5w40.

I run M1 0W-40 in mine. You'll get a thousand different answer. The real answer is that nearly any decent oil will work in this motor. Honda didn't even specify a synthetic for it.

rober

Almost any xW40, conventional or synthetic, will work in F20C and F22C engines, especially when you track your car.

I don't track my S2k, I either use heavy 10W30 or mixed xW40 with xW20 to get a light 40 weight or heavy 30 weight.

F20C and F2C are very solidly built engines, just don't use too thin oil it will last almost forever.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I run M1 0W-40 in mine. You'll get a thousand different answer. The real answer is that nearly any decent oil will work in this motor. Honda didn't even specify a synthetic for it.

rober

I'm in the same boat as Robert. Also have an AP1, also use M1 0w40. Also believe pretty much anything will work for you/us.

If you're going to redline it a lot, use redline, joe gibbs amzoil, xw40. Don't use cheapo noisy, ferrousious oils on it.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
If you're going to redline it a lot, use redline, joe gibbs amzoil, xw40. Don't use cheapo noisy, ferrousious oils on it.

Meh. I redline mine all the time. Even track it. No need for those things. 186K miles on it and still ticking. Do you think Honda didn't intend for people to drive it?

robert

I think I am going to run with the Mobil 1 0w-40. The oil pressure is perfectly in spec with the Amsoil 10w-40.

40 for the oil pressure
Mobil 1 because its cheap at Meijer
smile.gif

I am gonna do Redline MTL in the trans, and Motul RBF in the brakes and clutch.

What do you think of Motul 90PA for the rear axle? It calls for a straight 90 weight.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Red Line fluids should work great in the transmission and diff; they have for me in everything I've ever owned. I have MTL and 75W140 NS in my S2000.

robert

I ran Amsoil 10/30ATM in my S2K for the 6 years I had it and of the two or three UOA's I did they all looked fine stayed in grade, rather boring. Once a year oil changes which was only 5-7k miles so it should have been fine.

For the diff I ran Amsoil's severe gear 75/110 which seems to be a common recommendation over the OEM SAE 90. For the trans the OEM MTFII worked best just changed it frequently.

The factory recommended 90WT, but apparently that was before the weight specifications changed, so a modern 90WT is supposedly a little thinner than what the factory would have been recommending. That's my understanding, anyhow. I found a chart at some point in the past that indicated this was correct, but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back