Ryobi drill 14.4v battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this drill for so many years, drill works fine, but battery is dying, and Ryobi is no longer selling the 14.4v batteries. Amazon has them but they are not OEM, reviews are mixed. What do you do in situations like this? Buy a new drill? Thanks.

Might see how much Batteries Plus would charge to rebuild the ones you have.
Or check ebay.

Originally Posted by windeye
I have had this drill for so many years, drill works fine, but battery is dying, and Ryobi is no longer selling the 14.4v batteries. Amazon has them but they are not OEM, reviews are mixed. What do you do in situations like this? Buy a new drill? Thanks.

if a new battery is more than 30% of a new like kind item with a battery i would just toss it. battery and machine tech have come so far in the last few years it worth it to buy a new one

I convert those to 12 volt "corded" and run them off a car battery.

Handy as all get out when building or working on fence and gates "out in the back 40"

I even used one about 50% of the time to build my cabin.

I completely understand why you want to keep your 12 V drill and I still have my 14.4 V Mastercraft. However the 20 V drills and impact drivers are so good you wouldn't go back.
smile.gif

Last edited:

How many more years would a 'new' battery last before you need to replace again?

Do you have other Ryobi tools that use the standard battery?
I had this issue with craftsman and other sets I used to have. It was a good excuse to upgrade. I went with the DeWalt 20v line. I have batteries with date codes back to 2011 and they still work like they are new.

I think its a good time for you to get a new tool and battery. I personally look on Kijiji for used for new tools people are selling. I've saved a ton of money this way building up my collection.

I would buy non-OEM batteries. My Makita batteries from about 20 years ago couldn't hold any charge. bought 2
off ebay and they work.

This is after spending time opening (and damaging) the battery packs and spending money on replacement
cells. lot cheaper and better to just buy new.

Also did this for my Black and Decker weed whacker - their OEM batteries didn't last more than a season,
non-OEM replacements were 4x cheaper and now lasting more than one season. you could also buy
the 3.6ah batteries that work a lot longer than the OEM/non-OEM 1.5AH ones. and is still cheaper

Last edited:
I'd probably buy a new drill. Lithium chemistry batteries are pretty great.

If you only have one drill, the 18/20V drills are great. But if you have a corded drill for heavier duty drilling, I'd suggest looking at the smaller 12V lithium-ion drills. Since I purchased the 12V units, I've hardly touched my big 18V drill. They put out plenty of power for all the tasks I have, feels much more powerful than my old NiCd 14.4V cordless.

If it's just one drill, I would buy a new tool. Get it in a large, well supported ecosystem of tools... which pretty much means 18/20V max Lithium, or Milwaukee 12V.

14.4V tools were always the red-headed stepchild of the cordless market. Few tool choices in each 14.4V system, and most never made the Lithium transition.

If you like the feel of your old drill and want to keep it, try the non-OEM battery. I used a non-OEM battery to replace the one in our IRobot vacuum. It has lasted longer than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back