Ryobi cordless or store brand cordless tools ok for intermittent use?

Hey all, looking to buy into a cordless power tool platform.. I have some cordless stuff at the shop (auto), but don't feel that I need to invest that kind of money for home use. Right now all I have is one super cheap DeWalt 18v drill. Id like a greater variety but I'm really hesitant to pay that much! I know, I know, buy once cry once and all that, but I feel that being a sufferer of More's Law, I've effectively wasted my money on certain things.. I've been doing some home remodeling and purchased a compound miter saw from Harbor Freight and after some set up and a buying a nice Freud blade, it works perfectly. So why can't I buy some Ryobi or Menards brand Masterforce tools for my light work at home? Any experience with either?

I would not be afraid of Ryobi. The problem I have is the 1/2 impact is physically too big for auto use. Maybe there are more options now...

Ryobi claims to have the widest selection of cordless tools available. A bug zapper could come in handy when camping.

I have a bunch of Ryobi 18V tools and they are more than sufficient for DIY use. Definitely a step up from the old 18v dewalt line but much more wallet-friendly than the newer 20v Dewalt.

However, if I had to start over, I would probably get the 12v Dewalt drill and 1/4 impact instead of 18V Ryobi; the small size is perfect and has plenty of power for those tools. Larger impacts, saws, drills, etc need the more powerful batteries.

Edit: one more thing...the tiny 18v Ryobi blower probably gets more use than any other tool in my garage. It is perfect for cleaning out the car, clearing the stairs, clearing the patio table, and lots of other small jobs. For bigger jobs I break out the gas blower.

Here is how I'd approach this: make a list of tools you need and consider getting later; figure out if 12V, 18V or higher is what you need for all the tools to stay with the same platform; check total price for each set of tools - Ryobi, Bosch etc brands.

We have several of the Ryobi One Plus line: air compressor, drill, brush power washer, brush cutter, chain saw and pole saw (40V). They have all done what we ask of them.

The brushed Ryobi's are more than capable for home owners. If you want some more oomphh, they have brushless HP+ tools now.

I have a few Ryobi tools and after 5 years or so of intermittent use they're still going strong. Probably not good enough for a pro but plenty good enough for a me (a DIY/hobbyist).

I have 3 batteries and they're still fine as well (knock on wood).

Everyone I know that has the cordless Ryobi stuff is happy with it. My only bad experience with the Ryobi brand was with a gas string trimmer which I believe was basically the same re-badged MTD junk that multiple other budget brands were selling at the time. I know my buddy has had his for several years and he usually keeps it in his truck and only very occasionally remembers to charge the batteries.

Been using Ryobi for 15-20 years. 18v seems to get me out of or gets me into trouble just fine. Impacts, drill drivers,ratchets, weed blower and wackers. Even broke down and picked up 40v mower at end of year close out. 50 hours a week on a job site isn't my worry but no failures or warranty claims yet. Pick`em up at Home Dumbo when they come on sale.

Someone had a post on here a couple weeks ago regarding the Milwaukee 12 volt tools. They had a whole kit with 2 batteries and a charger and several tools for only $199.00 plus tax. I bought the kit from Home Depot and my son talked me into just adding the tool I was missing to my DeWalt 20 and 60 volt collection. I would feel confident with Ryobi.

I personally use a Rigid 18v platform due to the LSA but would not criticize anybody for choosing Ryobi.

In fact I am kind of surprised you are not aware How good the 'weekend warrior' are.

I’m all in on the Milwaukee system - but it was only for their brushless impact. Ryobi has one out 4 years later. IMO, Ryobi is all a homeowner needs, unless you’re doing serious DIYing and even so.

I’ve had Ryobi stuff for years. I don’t use it every day but here and there and never had any trouble. And the batteries last a long time! I have a 1/2” impact, a saw, and two drills. I also had a leaf blower but I think my ex took it.

Awesome, thanks for the input guys!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the store brand stuff like Masterforce?

Back when I worked for Black and Decker, (over 20 years ago), at a DeWalt manufacturing plant (before it closed down), B&D were making store brand power tools also, such as Craftsman and some european brand. Basically same DeWalt tool in a different shell.

I lean toward DeWalt 20V

BUT I love the Milwaukee 12V. Small and powerful. Take a look, prices aren't too crazy.

That said Ryobi should be fine. I have a very early corded Ryobi Sawzall that I abused greatly. Still kicking.

I have a few Ryobi tools and after 5 years or so of intermittent use they're still going strong. Probably not good enough for a pro but plenty good enough for a me (a DIY/hobbyist).

I have 3 batteries and they're still fine as well (knock on wood).
That wood knocking could attract Sasquatches where you live

Back