Ryegrass Seed Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances of having a 50-lb. bag of annual ryegrass seed with a couple of perennial ryegrass seeds thrown in there?

Is your question if there is the chance of having some perennial seeds in with the annual seeds? If so, I would think the chances are probably pretty good there might be some.

Originally Posted By: old1
Is your question if there is the chance of having some perennial seeds in with the annual seeds?

Yes sir, that's the question.
smile.gif

What are the chances of having fifty pounds of any grass seed without some unwanted or weed seeds in it?
The bags usually list average pecentages of weed or unwanted seed.

If I could buy all weed seeds at a significant discount, I would. I just want something there to prevent soil erosion. I'm afraid of my front yard getting washed away into the street. And then there's the fall time leaves: I'm tired of raking up leaves and having 1/2 the soil go into the toter along with the leaves. Need to get some kind of grass growing there.

I don't know what your climate is like, but here annual rye is sold for use either as a cover crop or as a nurse crop to protect slower germinating grasses.
It does come up and grow with remarkable speed.
Around here, a proportion of clover seed is usually considered desirable for a lawn that won't get regular applications of nitrogen fertilizer or irrigation.
The clover will cover those areas where the grass dies out.
If you're trying to achieve quick cover during a rainy season to help prevent soil errosion, annual rye is probably a good choice.
Instead of raking the leaves, just cut the grass and mulch them in.

Get answers tailored to your region and requirements from your county extension agent and your state Land Grant University:

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+turfgrass+varieties&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

Thanks for the link doitmyself.

Do I need to fertilize two weeks before planting, or can I get by without fertilizer?

That's like asking if you need dietary supplements without a blood test. A soil test will reveal your relative soil health (nutrients, pH, CEC, etc.) and you can go from there. Without this info, a modest starter fertilizer app. at the time of soil preparation won't hurt anything. The seed will germinate without fertilizer, but soon after it will usually benefit with a bit of fertilizer (again, conditions vary too much to make blanket recommendations). However, if you have some serious soil problems such as poor pH, your growing grass may fail. Many states no longer allow phosphorus fertilizer. There's lots of details I could explain, but it's all on the net.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Thanks for the link doitmyself.

Do I need to fertilize two weeks before planting, or can I get by without fertilizer?

I've done yards new yards soil was rock hard. Red dirt with a lot of clay in it.

I like to condition the soil with compost since the soil is dead no soil life in it. I usually get free compost from the city and till it. Water to wet and keep moist for 2 weeks to soften the compost and soil texture.

What this does is aerate the soil so roots can grow easier and healthy. Also having a microbe population in the soil.

The easist was with a sand base soil structure. Water drained easy. Bought some high grade compost from a commercial outlet and till it. The rye grass roots system was very healthy. No fertilizer was added from seed growth.

I'd like to comment something that happened. A fellow had ask me that he sprayed Ranger Pro(generic Roundup) on his lawn to knock some weeds out but the grass didn't grow for a long time.
He said he used Home Depot synthetic fertilizer. I recommended he use Gro-Power(humus fetilizer) to stimulate microbe activity in his soil. He did as so and the microbes broke down the ranger pro and the bare spots grew back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back