Rusty Chrome Wheels

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Looking for ideas on removing rust from chrome wheels. These are just roller wheels for my sand rail, I honestly don't care much about them but I figure if I can make them look better with minimal effort, why not.

One of them cleaned up decently with medium grade steel wool, fine grade wasn't strong enough. The other one though has thicker rust and the steel wool won't touch it. I didn't take a pic of that one but the rust looks the same, just thicker. You can see in the pic where I only did the left side at the time.

Maybe I can grind the rust off? I have a dremel set...

19FB6A32-EAE8-469C-BB74-BE6EBD3FBFBD.jpeg
65983E48-6B57-4428-9B16-4C38CD757B22.jpeg

Chrome polish, less than $10 and made for this purpose. For best results follow up with a quality wax.

Well, chrome doesn't rust. It's the steel under the chrome that rusts and that comes through the plating. You can clean it off with chrome polish but the rust will return because of tiny imperfections in the chrome plating. The plating will eventually also flake off.

Chrome plating is tough, but once it's breached, the underlying steel becomes the sacrificial metal in the bimetal reaction. That means rust will only continue. The reaction is unlike galvanizing with zinc, in which the zinc coating is meant to be sacrificial to preserve the steel.

I'd either plan to get the rust removed and the wheels rechromed, or start shopping for replacement wheels.

Bon Ami and a sponge. I’ve had wheels similar that I used Comet to remove rust. Yes it isn’t ideal but it looked better.

There used to be shops that chromed things? I’m guess they are all gone? I’m wondering if asking them for a quote would be a good start.

No grinder Nick, you'll grind the chrome plating off. It's been a long time but I think I remember using steel wool and WD-40 with good results.

Just remembered I used some Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver on some old rusty tools with good results.

Last edited:
A ball of scrunched up tin foil with a little oil on it. It won't fix the breached chrome, but it will look better.

The deeper you go with any abrasive type products the worse it will get. steel wool etc will fade the chrome plating. If you want to save the wheels and you're willing to pay.. best have them re-chromed/plated.

Well I haven’t gotten back to these ones yet, but I just bought a trailer with these wheels. This is as good as I could get with PB Blaster and steel wool.

Going to paint them, will paint stick to these?

13DF2FF1-0A3E-4F91-9004-A9508887EE73.jpeg

I took my angle grinder with a wire wheel to the trailer wheels. Took a fair amount of the rust off, but it's pitted deep. Only did the right side before I took this pic. Prepping for paint.

27664271-6449-43C8-A5BC-F9F32B131173.jpeg
1401E40D-96B6-4B9E-A24F-FD70F976E4FA.jpeg

Back