Factory chrome wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ave a spare set of 20 inch chrome wheels off a 2011-2013'ish F150 which I recently picked up. Haven't decided if I'll run them or flip them but either way they needed cleaning. My go-to product for medium duty wheel cleaning has been Simple Green for a long time... unfortunately despite the fact these wheels didn't look that bad the SG didn't seem to lift all the brake deposits off. Definitely the vast majority and from 10 feet they look great... but I'd like to clean them up better.

Is there another cleaner which would work significantly better? Should I use a claybar? Would a light chrome polish like turtlewax or Meg's hotwheels work well without damaging the finish?

Are you positive the surface is bare chrome metal and not clear coated? If they are truly chrome, some chrome polish is probably the best product to use. If they are clear coated, which I believe is more likely, some detailing clay or a nanoskin-type material should do the trick.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Are you positive the surface is bare chrome metal and not clear coated? If they are truly chrome, some chrome polish is probably the best product to use. If they are clear coated, which I believe is more likely, some detailing clay or a nanoskin-type material should do the trick.

I've never seen chrome wheels with a clear coat. Polished aluminum, yes, but never chrome...

Are you sure they are chrome plated steel. Many late Model OEM wheels are painted steel with a separate plastic or stamped stainless steel cap over the outside face. They look like chrome plated steel, but are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back