Rustproofing Oil and Dirt Buildup

My truck is about 20 lbs lighter after I scraped the dirt buildup from the front suspension! The buildup was at least an eighth of an inch thick in most places, quarter in in some places and up to a half in thick where there are depressions alowing dirt to buildup.

I would have expected such dirt buildup to promote rusting since it would absorb salt and water and hold it against the frame in the winter. However it looks l;ike the oil works so well that it protects the metals in such adverse conditions. My 18 yr old truck, a daily driver in the winter in the salt belt, still does not have much rust on the frame.

Some people have posted about going out for a drive on dusty roads after spraying to promote retention of the oil on the frame. I had thought that was silly but now I am not so sure.
Sierra Dirt Buildup.JPG

I live on a dirt road that is designated as class 4. That means that it is not maintained by the local municipality but by the residents that use it so not salted at all.

I have my cars fluid filmed annually and I suppose that I get the dirt road treatment just by driving home. Your picture may look awful to folks who live where roads are not salted but it's not that bad assuming the pics are from the 2006 GMC truck in your sig.

The frame does not look that nice but it is all surface rust and I have no concerns about a rust weakened frame.

It has also not been sprayed for a couple of years. I missed last year because I was too busy at work and did not have time to spray the truck.

For those living in Ontario, Canada, I used rustproofing oil from Monarch in Kitchener. I tried to buy Krown and Fluid film from their dealers but they wanted exhorbitant prices, over $300 for a 5 gallon pail!. I think it was Kris Z who recommended Monarch and their oil has worked well for me.

Last edited:
The frame does not look that nice but it is all surface rust and I have no concerns about a rust weakened frame.

It has also not been sprayed for a couple of years. I missed last year because I was too busy at work and did not have time to spray the truck.

For those living in Ontario, Canada, I used rustproofing oil from Monarch in Kitchener. I tried to buy Krown and Fluid film from their dealers but they wanted exhorbitant prices, over $300 for a 5 gallon pail!. I think it was Kris Z who recommended Monarch and their oil has worked well for me.
Yes, Monarch Oil stuff is very good and very reasonably priced, but it does build up. Also, look for Tractor Supply stores sales, they used to have Corrosion Free cans of rustproofing on sale for $5 each. I used it quite extensively for touch ups and cavities.

Here is the buildup on my old Mazda in the rear wheel wells. I no longer have to deal with rust, but I do enjoy the rustproofing threads 😉

IMG_3546.jpeg

Doesn’t look bad at all!

Since I no longer have a winter car, the Trax will get Krowned this year before winter starts….

This is one of the reasons I started using boiled linseed oil for undercoating. It hardens to a gummy consistency and dirt doesn’t build up on it to anywhere near this degree.

Back