Rustproffing during bypass filter installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do those of you, who have installed bypass filters, rustproof the metal areas where drilling was done to secure the brackets?

Mr. Vettman, although I haven't seen a MSDS sheet for the MPHD, cosmoline probably isn't the main ingredient. I have scraped of tons of that stuff getting military firearms ready for sale after coming out of storeage for decades. Cosomiline is not a very good lubricant and would not be suitable for all the recommended uses for MPHD. I believe it is an ALOX based lubricant with solvents to get it out of the can. Very distinctive odor for anyone who makes cast bullets for their rifles or handguns. My preference for rust proofing the holes and other spots that need attention is Permatex Extend Rust Treatment. The stuff reacts chemically with rust and forms a tough primer coat suitable for use as is or repainting to match the finish.

WDP

The best way is to drill the holes first. Then spray the area using Amsoil MPHD Heavy Duty Metal Protector, Product Code AMH. This is a real good rust preventative as it contains cosmoline which seals very well. Then let it dry for an hour or so, and then install the bracket over that. When the installation is complete, spray the bracket again, plus the nuts/bolts. There are other ways but I have found this to work super.

cheers.gif

I don't believe he recomended it as a lubricant
dunno.gif
..but rather a a rust proofer...your suggestion will a work just as well( permatex)

quote:

Originally posted by WDP:
I believe it is an ALOX based lubricant with solvents to get it out of the can. Very distinctive odor for anyone who makes cast bullets for their rifles or handguns.
WDP

Thank you so much for that information, I've always said this stuff smells like the stuff my dad used when he casted bullets when I was a little kid. It would stink up the whole house
grin.gif

Please discard my previous post on this thread. It was for another thread.

I have ordered the product from Amsoil right after reading 59 Vetteman's response. Since I have not received it thru mail yet, does it really smell that bad? Can I at least spray it in the engine compartment without the odor intruding into the interior?

By the way, after using it, treat it as you would a can of spray paint. Turn it upside down and spray the nozzle clean. Otherwise it will clump up and become hard (read impossible) to use again without cleaning.

I just relocated my car battery to the trunk last Saturday. I had to drill holes in the fire wall to allow the battery cable to pass thru. I treated the drilled area with Permatex, and let it dry for an hour. Then I spreaded the area with Amsoil MPHD even from inside the car. The smell was not that unpleasant. This morning as I drove to work, I did not smell it at all.

My question is: Do I have to spread Amsoil MPHD periodically to the area or just leave it alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back